Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field inside a void in a conductor?

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone,

The field inside a conductor and also inside any voids in a said to be zero. I'm convinced with the available proofs for the field inside a conductor. However, I am not aware of any solid proof for the field inside a void in a conductor. Would you please share your knowledge on this topic?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2
    There's no such thing as an unconditionally perfect conductor. The zero field assumption is only approximate. It will be even more suspect when science furthers develops nanotechnology, rendering these approximations as a quaint symbol of the time when people didn't need to care about it.

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    If I have a spherical shell with plus q charge on it, the E field is zero inside because there is no enclosed charge so it is zero by Gauss's Law.
    no perfect conductors, what about superconductors?

5. Mar 8, 2012 #4
    That's based on the symmetry of the shell. For an arbitrary geometry we need another approach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook