Electric field insulating rod Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the electric field at a point due to a line charge. There is confusion about the direction of the x component of the electric field and whether the y component cancels out due to symmetry. The solution involves integrating the electric field for all fragments of charge and understanding that the direction of the electric field is towards the line charge.
ToonBlue

Homework Statement

upload_2015-9-7_0-18-58.png

upload_2015-9-7_0-53-36.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is problem I have found online and this is the part I don't understand how they come up with this.
upload_2015-9-7_0-21-54.png

How did they get this for the x component since y component cancel out due to being symmetry ?
upload_2015-9-7_0-22-57.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think they are trying to find dE not E...

upload_2015-9-7_0-36-54.png

The above is the formula given in my lecture note .

In the solution provided in the problem , it is given as
upload_2015-9-7_0-21-54-png.88285.png
which means that
upload_2015-9-7_0-22-57-png.88286.png
is the unit direction of the component.

In this case , since there is no y component (symmetry) , it has only x component but how do they get
upload_2015-9-7_0-22-57-png.88286.png
?

The y component will cancel out I think when you take the Integral over all points towards point O. I believe the formula ( at the end ) provided in the solution is trying to calculate the dE at point O.
Wait for more qualified members to reply. I am taking Electricity and Magnetism course right now :)

The diagram in your first post shows you dE; it's the field you'll see at O due to the charge contained in the short length, dl. The electric field at any point has both a magnitude (illustrated by the arrow having a length) and a direction (shown by the angle of arrow dE to the reference axes).

It's not until you sum the fields due to multiple fragments of charge will you see cancellations, this entails integrating dE for all of the line charge.

ToonBlue said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 88284

View attachment 88288

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is problem I have found online and this is the part I don't understand how they come up with this.
View attachment 88285
How did they get this for the x component since y component cancel out due to being symmetry ?
View attachment 88286
The y component cancels out only after you have integrated dE.

May I know why does the dE point away and not toward the dL?

ToonBlue said:
May I know why does the dE point away and not toward the dL?[/QUOThe arc L is negatively charged. The direction of the E field is the direction of the force on a positive unit of charge. So the E field is directed towards the arc L, as you say.
If you got the impression it's directed away from L it's probably because of the picture. However, the picture is still right since the answer is negative.

What is an electric field insulating rod?

An electric field insulating rod is a long, thin, non-conductive object that is used to manipulate and control the direction and strength of an electric field.

How does an electric field insulating rod work?

An electric field insulating rod works by creating a barrier between two regions with different electric potentials. This barrier allows for the manipulation and control of the electric field, as the insulating rod does not conduct electricity.

What is the purpose of using an electric field insulating rod?

The purpose of using an electric field insulating rod is to protect sensitive electronic equipment from the effects of an electric field, to control the direction and strength of the electric field, and to prevent unintentional contact with the electric field.

What materials are electric field insulating rods made of?

Electric field insulating rods can be made of a variety of materials, including plastic, glass, rubber, and ceramics. These materials are chosen for their non-conductive properties and ability to withstand high voltages.

What are some common applications for electric field insulating rods?

Electric field insulating rods are commonly used in electronic devices such as capacitors, transformers, and generators. They are also used in high voltage power lines, particle accelerators, and other scientific experiments involving electric fields.