Electric field magnitude for electron accelerating 4.50 m in 3.00 μs

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
hitek131
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
I need help with this question if anyone can give me an idea of what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

An electron is released from rest in a uniform electric field. The electron accelerates vertically upward, traveling 4.50 m in the first 3.00 micro seconds after it is released.
What is the magnitude of the electric field?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what force is in charge of accelerating the electron?
 
yes it is F=E * q

I know that q = 1.62 * 10^-19, but I still have an unknown variable.
 
Last edited:
You can solve the acceleration using elementary kinematics. Then you'd need to relate that force to the acceleration you solved for.
 
yes i know, you use y = 1/2at^2, but you still get unknown variables
 
You know everything besides E. The electron's mass is standard tabulated stuff.