Electric field near a point just outside a conductor

In summary, the electric field (E) due to a conductor at an external point very near to it is given by σ/ε, where 'σ' is the local surface charge density and 'ε' is epsilon. This formula is valid for any shape or charge distribution of the conductor, as long as there are no discontinuities. The proof for this formula uses Gauss's law and can be found by searching for "perfect conductor boundary conditions."
arvindsharma
Hello Friends,

in my textbook it is written that in electrostatics,electric field(E) due to a conductor at an external point very near to it is given by σ/ε.where 'σ' is the local surface charge density and 'ε' is epsilon.they have derived it by using a symmetrical conductor which have symmetrical charge density.my doubt is that whether this formula is valid for unsymmetrical conductors also or not?if yes,then can anyone explain me why is it so?if possible,then please give me a mathematical derivation.

Thanks

Arvind

Physics news on Phys.org
It's true for any shape of the conductor. The proof, using Gauss's law, is quite simple. Choose a Gaussian pillbox with one face just inside the conductor, and the other face just outside.

arvindsharma said:
Hello Friends,

in my textbook it is written that in electrostatics,electric field(E) due to a conductor at an external point very near to it is given by σ/ε.where 'σ' is the local surface charge density and 'ε' is epsilon.they have derived it by using a symmetrical conductor which have symmetrical charge density.my doubt is that whether this formula is valid for unsymmetrical conductors also or not?if yes,then can anyone explain me why is it so?if possible,then please give me a mathematical derivation.

Thanks

Arvind

How did they derive it? The typical derivation I've seen uses Gauss's law on a very small region of the surface--small enough that the surface looks flat and the charge density looks constant. Then it's easy to show that E = σ/ε very close to the surface because E=0 inside the conductor. You can also show that it points away from the surface using [itex]\oint \mathbf{E}\cdot d\mathbf{l} = 0[/itex].

That approach works for any surface or charge distribution as long as there aren't any discontinuities in the surface or the charge distribution.

If you haven't seen that derivation before, you should be able to find a more thorough explanation by searching for "perfect conductor boundary conditions" or something like that. It's pretty much the standard derivation, assuming you're at a high enough level to know what Gauss's law is.

What is an electric field near a point just outside a conductor?

An electric field near a point just outside a conductor is a region in which electrically charged particles experience a force due to the presence of an electric charge. This field is created by the charged particles on the surface of the conductor and extends into the space surrounding the conductor.

How is the electric field near a point just outside a conductor calculated?

The electric field near a point just outside a conductor can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge.

What is the direction of the electric field near a point just outside a conductor?

The direction of the electric field near a point just outside a conductor is perpendicular to the surface of the conductor. This means that the electric field lines are directed away from the conductor if the charge is positive and towards the conductor if the charge is negative.

How does the shape of the conductor affect the electric field near a point just outside it?

The shape of the conductor can affect the electric field near a point just outside it. For example, a conductor with a pointed end will have a higher electric field near its tip compared to a conductor with a flat end. This is because the charge is concentrated at the pointed end, creating a stronger electric field.

What is the purpose of studying the electric field near a point just outside a conductor?

Studying the electric field near a point just outside a conductor is important for understanding the behavior of charges and their interactions with each other. It also has practical applications in fields such as electronics, where the design and placement of conductors can affect the strength and direction of the electric field.