Electric field of a sphere whit a cavity inside

In summary, the sphere with the cavity inside has an electric field that is weaker than the field outside the sphere.
Casco
Hi, I calculated the electric field of a sphere of radius [itex]r[/itex] with a volumen density charge [itex]\rho[/itex] and also it has inside of it a spherical cavity and its center is situated in [itex]r/2[/itex] with radius [itex]r/2[/itex], so I calculated the electric field of the sphere with the cavity inside and I get

[itex]E=\frac{\rho r}{6\epsilon_0 }[/itex]

So I'd like if someone has done this exercise please correct or confirm my result. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Casco said:
Hi, I calculated the electric field of a sphere of radius [itex]r[/itex] with a volumen density charge [itex]\rho[/itex] and also it has inside of it a spherical cavity and its center is situated in [itex]r/2[/itex] with radius [itex]r/2[/itex], so I calculated the electric field of the sphere with the cavity inside and I get

[itex]E=\frac{\rho r}{6\epsilon_0 }[/itex]

So I'd like if someone has done this exercise please correct or confirm my result. Thanks.

For what point have you done the calculation?
The field has no spherical symmetry and the field will depend on all three coordinates (in Cartesian coordinates) or on the angles (in spherical coordinates).
Your answer may be valid for points along some specific direction. Usually the problem requires to calculate the field for points along the axis that passes through the centers of the two spheres.
The easiest way to treat this problem is superposition.
Gauss' law is not very useful I think, due to lack of symmetry.

I've just deleted my answer from before. I was solving the wrong question, because I've not realized that the hole is not in the center of the bigger sphere but displaced. Indeed, here the superposition principle is the better way to solve the problem. Sorry, if I caused any confusion.

1. What is the equation for the electric field of a sphere with a cavity inside?

The electric field of a sphere with a cavity inside can be calculated using the following equation:

E = kQ(r - R) / (4πε0r3)

Where E is the electric field, k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point where the electric field is being measured, R is the radius of the cavity, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

2. How does the electric field vary inside the cavity of a charged sphere?

Inside the cavity of a charged sphere, the electric field is zero. This is because the charge inside the cavity is evenly distributed on the inner surface of the cavity and therefore cancels out the electric field inside.

3. What happens to the electric field if the cavity inside the sphere is filled with a dielectric material?

If the cavity inside the sphere is filled with a dielectric material, the electric field inside the cavity will decrease. This is because the presence of the dielectric material reduces the effective charge of the sphere, resulting in a weaker electric field inside the cavity.

4. Can the electric field inside a charged sphere with a cavity be negative?

No, the electric field inside a charged sphere with a cavity cannot be negative. The electric field is a vector quantity and is always directed away from positive charges. Since the charge inside the cavity is evenly distributed, the electric field inside the cavity will always be directed away from the center of the cavity, resulting in a positive electric field.

5. Is the electric field of a sphere with a cavity affected by the size of the cavity?

Yes, the electric field of a sphere with a cavity is affected by the size of the cavity. The larger the size of the cavity, the weaker the electric field will be inside the cavity. This is because a larger cavity will result in a larger surface area for the charge to distribute on, reducing the effective charge and thus the strength of the electric field inside the cavity.