Electric Field of a Straight Wire (now with the attachment)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
The Head
Messages
137
Reaction score
2
1. Homework Statement
The word document with the problem is attached below.


2. Homework Equations
dE=kdQ/r22
Ex=Ecos∅

3. The Attempt at a Solution
dE=kdQ/r2
E=kλ∫dy/(x2+y2) (integrating from y= -L/2 to L/2)
Ex=2kλ∫xdy/(x2+y2)3/2 (change integration to y= 0 to L/2, multiplying expression by 2)

Let y=xtan∅
dy=x(sec∅)2 d∅

=2kxλ∫x(sec∅)2/x3(sec∅)3 d∅
=2kλ/x∫cos∅ d∅
=2kλ/x(sin∅)
=2kλ/x(sin(arctan(y/x)) (evaluated from y=0 to y=L/2)
=2kλ/x(y/(x2+y2)1/2 (evaluated from 0->L/2)
=2kλ/x(L/2)(x2+(L2)/4)1/2
=((1.8X10^10)λL/(2x))*(1/x2+(L2)/4)1/2

This isn't the correct answer, though I don't know what actually is. I would appreciate any help or guidance!
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I figured it out. I am using an online HW program and it just wanted the the answer in terms of epsilon, not a numerical value. Thanks anyway!