1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of a uniformly charged disk

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am looking at an example of finding the charge of a uniform disk with a continuous charge on the surface.

They go about the problem by finding the infinitesimal charge of concentric rings

dq = σdA = σ(2πr dr)

The part I don't understand is that they use the area as 2πr dr? The area of a ring would be ∏(R2^2 - R1^2), right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Correct, that's the exact area of the ring. However, if dr = R2 - R1 is small, the other formula is a very good approximation, which gets better and better as dr becomes smaller and smaller. To see this, let R2 = R1 + dr in the equation above, cancel out whatever you can, and then drop any terms with (dr)^2. Those terms become negligible compared to terms with just dr, when dr is very small.

4. Feb 8, 2013 #3
    Ok I just calculated it and now I see. The book didn't even bother to explain that approximation, which left me confused. Thank you for clearing that up so quickly =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook