Electric field of an infinite carged wire in a conductive medium

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
fiz65
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I need to find a book where the problem of the subject is treated.
(I am assuming that charge is being fed to the wire by an external source,
so as to keep it constant)

Does anybody know a reference where this problem is treated?
I have looked for an answer in the classical textbooks (stratton,
panofsky-phillips, jackson, griffiths, etc,), and I've found nothing

Of course, if the conductivity of the medium is zero the answer is
well known, but if sigma is non zero, the answer seems to be not
that easy.

Many thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the charge per unit length is known then Gauss's law still applies, so E is the same as with no conductivity. That type of problem is treated in Sec. 6.9 of Franklin, "Classical Eectromagnetism", but not for your specific geometry.
 
Hi Meir, many thanks for your answer, I think I've understood the point.