1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of ring causing oscillation

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ring of radius 18 cm that lies in the yz plane
    carries positive charge of 5 µC uniformly distributed over its length. A particle of mass m
    that carries a charge of −5 µC executes small
    oscillations about the center of the ring on its
    axis with an angular frequency of 12 rad/s.
    Find the angular frequency of oscillation of
    the mass if the radius of the ring is doubled to
    36 cm and all other parameters above remain
    unchanged.

2. Relevant equations
    {Hint: it is useful to draw an analogy between this problem and a mass-spring system.
    For the latter, the force on the mass is given by
    F = ma = −kx and produces 1d simple harmonic oscillation with an angular frequency
    of ω = (k/m)^(1/2)}

Electric field of a uniformly charged ring: (1/(4*pi*epsilon))*q*z/(R^2+z^2)^(3/2)

3. The attempt at a solution Well I took the electric field of the ring and multiplied it by the charge of the particle mass to get the force. I also took the angular frequency and squared it to get k/m, but after that I'm just stuck. I really just wish I knew what to do. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2
    The question says that charge performs oscillations near the centre of the ring. This means that z (assuming it is the distance of charge from centre of ring) is much smaller than the radius of ring (R) i.e z<<R. Use this approximation and find the force on the charge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook