1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field on the Axis at Certain Point

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    Two point-charges of +8 nC and -17 nC lie on the x-axis at points x = 0 and x = +10 m, respectively. Find the electric field on the axis at point x = +5.0 m. Assume vacuum. Answer in N/C.

E= k0(q./r^2)

Ok, this should be pretty simple, but for some reason it's not. First, I converted the nC to C: +8E-9 and -1.7E-8. I assume the radius is +5 which would then be +25 because it's squared. K0 is 8.99*10^9, right? Then I just plugged in my values:

E= -1.7E-8/25 + 8E-9/25= -3.6E-10
    -3.6E-10 * 8.99E9= 3.2364

This answer is wrong though. I've tried entering it in as both a positive and negative number, but that doesn't make a difference. Where am I going wrong? This is the only way I can see to solve the problem.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Note that the E field due to the positive left charge is to the right.
    The E field due to the negative charge on the right is to the right as well.
    So you add the two fields.

Leaving out the k and putting the brackets in the wrong place confused me, maybe you as well. Look at it this way:
    E = kQ/R^2 + kQ/R^2
    = k*8E-9/5^2 + k*17E-9/5^2
    = k/25*25E-9
    = 8.99 N/C

4. Sep 27, 2009 #3
    Thanks! I would've never guessed to add them. I'll take out those brackets too. Now that I look at it, they are kind of confusing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook