Electric Field Strength at Center of Triangle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
rbrayana123
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Three positive charges, A, B and C, of 3 × 10-6, 2 × 10-6, and 3 × 10-6 Coulombs respectively, are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle of side 0.2 meters.

Find the magnitude in Newtons/Coulomb of the electric field at the center of the triangle.

Homework Equations



E = [itex]\frac{1}{4∏ε}[/itex] Ʃqjroj/roj2

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong but I feel like it's something simple (and perhaps geometric). My triangle has a base on the x-axis and it's origin is at the center of the base. My basic approach is to find the center of the triangle.

Then, I compute the distance from each point charge to the center via Pythagorean.

Once I have that, I compute the electric field strength for each particle. Then, I take the x and y components and add them.

I've tried different centers for the triangle but I'm always off by a factor of 10.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, just wanted to say that I figured it out. As I suspected, it was a geometric mistake when calculating the center of the triangle. Looks like I need to go over some middle school math =/