1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Strength at Center of Triangle

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three positive charges, A, B and C, of 3 × 10-6, 2 × 10-6, and 3 × 10-6 Coulombs respectively, are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle of side 0.2 meters.

Find the magnitude in newtons/Coulomb of the electric field at the center of the triangle.

2. Relevant equations

E = [itex]\frac{1}{4∏ε}[/itex] Ʃqjroj/roj2

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong but I feel like it's something simple (and perhaps geometric). My triangle has a base on the x axis and it's origin is at the center of the base. My basic approach is to find the center of the triangle.

Then, I compute the distance from each point charge to the center via Pythagorean.

Once I have that, I compute the electric field strength for each particle. Then, I take the x and y components and add them.

I've tried different centers for the triangle but I'm always off by a factor of 10.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2012 #2
    Hey, just wanted to say that I figured it out. As I suspected, it was a geometric mistake when calculating the center of the triangle. Looks like I need to go over some middle school math =/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook