Electric field Vector The Hub Of Electrostatics 1

In summary, the electric field vector is a mathematical representation of the direction and strength of an electric field at a specific point in space. It is a fundamental concept in electrostatics and is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by its magnitude or by taking the derivative of the electric potential. Its unit of measurement is newtons per coulomb (N/C) and it is often represented visually using field lines.
i_am_ayush
Hey I cought out a pattern in Electrostatics and i created it in my revision notes. I have uploaded it
please Suggest if any correction required

Attachments

• IMG00011.jpg
    IMG00011.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
You've written that the electric flux is given by,

[itex] \varphi = \int\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{S} [/itex]

which is correct, but then you've written that

[itex] \vec{E} = -\vec{\nabla} \varphi [/itex] which is wrong! The electric field can be written as the gradient of the electric potential, not the the flux.

1. What is an electric field vector?

An electric field vector is a mathematical representation of the direction and strength of an electric field at a specific point in space. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field vector related to electrostatics?

The electric field vector is a fundamental concept in electrostatics, which is the study of stationary electric charges. It helps us understand how electric charges interact with each other and their surrounding environment.

3. How is the electric field vector calculated?

The electric field vector is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the charge. It can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the electric potential with respect to distance.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the electric field vector?

The unit of measurement for the electric field vector is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In other systems, it may be measured in volts per meter (V/m) or dyne per statcoulomb (dyn/statC).

5. How is the electric field vector represented visually?

The electric field vector is often represented visually using field lines, which show the direction and strength of the electric field at different points in space. The density of the lines represents the strength, with closer lines indicating a stronger field.