Electric fields and acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the initial acceleration of a proton placed above a long horizontal conducting wire with a charge density of 5.70*10^-12 C/m. The equation used to determine the electric field is 2*k*charge density/distance to the proton, but the correct answer of 1.199*10^7 is not obtained. Further discussion is needed to determine the issue.
eltel2910
Consider a long horizontal conducting wire with charge density
= 5.70*10^-12 C/m. A proton (mass = 1.67*10^-27 kg) is placed and
released 0.820 m above the wire. What is the magnitude of initial
acceleration of the proton?

My thought is: a=q*E/m

and E is: 2*k*charge density/distance to the proton or 2*8990000000*5.7*10^-12/.820m

but I can't get the right answer, which I know to be: 1.199*10^7.

Any thoughts??

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you are on the right track, but I don't have my E&M books at home (where I am now). What is the equation that you are using for the electric field from a uniform linear charge distribution?

Your thought process is correct. The formula for acceleration in an electric field is a=qE/m, where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, and m is the mass of the particle. In this case, the charge of the proton is 1.6*10^-19 C and the mass is 1.67*10^-27 kg.

The electric field can be calculated using the formula E=2*k*lambda/d, where k is the Coulomb constant (8.99*10^9 N*m^2/C^2), lambda is the charge density (5.7*10^-12 C/m), and d is the distance between the proton and the wire (0.820 m).

Plugging in the values, we get E=2*8.99*10^9*5.7*10^-12/0.820=1.18*10^7 N/C.

Substituting this into the acceleration formula, we get a=(1.6*10^-19)(1.18*10^7)/(1.67*10^-27)=1.199*10^7 m/s^2. This is the correct answer of 1.199*10^7 m/s^2.

Make sure to check your units and use the correct value for the Coulomb constant. Also, double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds an electrically charged object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is created by the presence of a charged object. The strength of an electric field is determined by the distance from the charged object and the magnitude of the charge.

2. How does an electric field cause acceleration?

An electric field can cause acceleration by exerting a force on a charged particle. The force is directly proportional to the magnitude of the electric field and the charge of the particle. This force will cause the particle to accelerate in the direction of the electric field.

3. What is the equation for electric field and acceleration?

The equation for electric field is E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge of the particle. The equation for acceleration is a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force, and m is the mass of the particle. These two equations can be combined to give a = (E*q)/m, showing the relationship between electric field and acceleration.

4. How do electric fields and acceleration relate to each other?

Electric fields and acceleration are directly related to each other. An electric field can cause acceleration in a charged particle, and the strength of the acceleration is dependent on the strength of the electric field. In other words, the stronger the electric field, the greater the acceleration of the charged particle.

5. How are electric fields and acceleration used in everyday life?

Electric fields and acceleration are used in many everyday applications, such as in electronics and motors. The electric fields created by charged particles are harnessed to power devices and create movement in motors. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI machines, to create images of the body's tissues and organs.