Electric Fields and Styrofoam balls

In summary, in order to find the common charge carried by each of the three identical small Styrofoam balls, the equation Fe=mgtan(theta) and q^2=Fe(r^2)/ke were used. The first equation yielded a value of 5.909787*e-3 for the charge, while the second equation yielded a value of q=8.108e-7. However, the third ball in the system also plays a role in the equilibrium and must be taken into account. The third ball exerts a repulsive force on the other two balls, causing them to move away from their equilibrium distance. To calculate this force, the lateral component of tension in the thread must be determined and treated as
glid02
Here is the question:
Three identical small Styrofoam balls (m = 1.93 g) are suspended from a fixed point by three nonconducting threads, each with a length of 49.0 cm and with negligible mass. At equilibrium the three balls form an equilateral triangle with sides of 29.2 cm. What is the common charge q carried by each ball?

I set it up by taking two of the balls and making them into two back-to-back right triangles of the same size. I used the equation Fe=mgtan(theta) where theta is sin^-1(.146/.49)=17.335 deg. For this I got 5.909787*e-3.

Then I used the equation q^2=Fe(r^2)/ke, where r is .292 m.
For this i got q=8.108e-7.

I've triple checked everything and I'm fairly confident that this is the right answer for two balls, but I'm not sure how the third ball plays into the answer. It seems like it would push the two balls apart from each other a little more, which would diminish the charge I got when considering just the two of them, but I'm not sure how to go about finding the amount that the third ball would change the distance between ball 1 and ball 2. Any help would be awesome. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Each of two balls repels the third. If one draws a line between two charges, the third ball is repelled with a net force perpendicular to that line. Each ball is repelled from the equilibrium distance from the center of mass which would coincide with the center of the equilateral triangle.

Each ball sits at the end of thread at some angle. The lateral component of tension in the string (related to the weight of each ball) is equal and opposite the repulsive electric force. You seem to have done that correctly.

Treat the forces as vectors along the line of action, then determine the component acting opposite the tension in the thread.

Last edited:

1. How does an electric field affect Styrofoam balls?

An electric field can cause Styrofoam balls to become polarized, meaning the positive and negative charges within the ball separate. This can cause the Styrofoam ball to move towards or away from the source of the electric field, depending on the direction of the field.

2. Can Styrofoam balls be used to demonstrate electric fields?

Yes, Styrofoam balls can be used as a visual representation of electric fields. When placed in an electric field, the balls will align themselves with the direction of the field, allowing us to see the shape and strength of the field.

3. How do Styrofoam balls interact with different types of electric fields?

Styrofoam balls will interact differently with different types of electric fields. In a uniform electric field, the balls will move in a straight line towards or away from the source. In a non-uniform electric field, the balls may experience a net force and move in a curved path or rotate.

4. Can Styrofoam balls be used to measure the strength of an electric field?

No, Styrofoam balls cannot be used to accurately measure the strength of an electric field. They can only provide a visual representation of the field's direction and relative strength.

5. How are Styrofoam balls affected by the presence of other objects in an electric field?

The presence of other objects in an electric field can affect the movement and behavior of Styrofoam balls. Conductive objects can interfere with the electric field, causing the balls to move in unexpected ways. Non-conductive objects may create areas of varying electric field strength, causing the balls to move in different directions.