Electric Fields - continuous charge distributions

In summary: The rod is negatively charged, so it's like you are putting in a negative test charge to see how it behaves. But the electric field vector works just the same either way.In summary, a plastic rod carrying a negative charge of -5 μC along the x-axis produces an electric field that is directed towards the northwest when a positive test charge is placed at a point (0,6) m along the positive y-axis. This can be solved using the relevant equations for linear charge density and electric field, by substituting the negative charge value in the calculations. The direction of the electric field vector is determined by the direction of the force experienced by a small positive test charge placed at a certain position. This applies to both positive and
Xgens

Homework Statement

A plastic rod of finite length carries an uniform linear charge Q = -5 μC along the x-axis with the left edge of the rod at the origin (0,0) and its right edge at (8,0) m. All distances are measured in meters.

Determine the magnitude and direction of the net electric field at a point (0,6) m, along the positive y-axis.

2. Relevant Equation

λ= Q/L
∫dx/(x^2+a^2)^3/2 = x/a^2(x^2+a^2)^1/2
∫xdx/(x^2+a^2)^3/2 = -1/(x^2+a^2)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

If the uniform linear charge Q is positively charge then I can solve this problem but since this is negatively charge, how do I go about solving this? I am referring to the electric field, if Q is positively charged then the electric field is pointing to northwest of point P. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You solve it exactly the same way as for a positive charge. If it helps you feel better, try substituting Q=-q: q>0, when Q<0.

The direction of the electric field vector at a position is the direction of the force experienced by a small positive test charge placed there. So what happens if the field is produced by a negative charge distribution, compared with that for a positive charge distribution? How about this: compare the field from a positive point charge with that from a negative one.

Simon Bridge said:
You solve it exactly the same way as for a positive charge. If it helps you feel better, try substituting Q=-q: q>0, when Q<0.

The direction of the electric field vector at a position is the direction of the force experienced by a small positive test charge placed there. So what happens if the field is produced by a negative charge distribution, compared with that for a positive charge distribution? How about this: compare the field from a positive point charge with that from a negative one.

The direction of the electric field vector at a position is the direction of the force experienced by a small positive test charge placed there

*I understand this part, that's why I said electric field will be northwest due to point P.

So what happens if the field is produced by a negative charge distribution, compared with that for a positive charge distribution?

Well the test charge is going to attract to the field produced by a negative charge distribution. My problem lies in this part, since it's attract to the negative charge distribution throughout x-axis from 0m to 8m. Does that mean I have to draw my dE pierced through the negative charge distribution?

Thanks a lot for your help so far.

No - you set up the vectors at the start of the calculation and keep track of the minus signs.
The actual calculation is exactly the same for positive and negative charge distributions.

It sounds like there is a specific example that is stumping you.

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
No - you set up the vectors at the start of the calculation and keep track of the minus signs.
The actual calculation is exactly the same for positive and negative charge distributions.

It sounds like there is a specific example that is stumping you.

Basically I can solve this problem with positive charge distribution but just keep track of the minus sign? If so, then now i know how to solve it. Thanks a lot for your help!

No - you do the algebra (and general working out) with the regular symbols, and you plug the numerical values in last, like normal. It's just that, this time, the numerical value for Q is negative. So put that negative number in at the end.

I don't see the problem here - please provide an example to illustrate where you get stuck.

I see, alright let me work it out and i will post it. Thanks!

This is what i tried so far

Attachments

• 20140901_103030.jpg
    20140901_103030.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 502
  • 20140901_103041.jpg
    20140901_103041.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 482
That looks like a wall of maths.
Without the example to go with it I cannot see what you've done.
When you teacher or text gives you an example, they set it up for you too don't they? You know - describe the situation before they show you the maths?

It's on the question 1b and 1c that are related to this.

Attachments

• soln_P2212sp2012_act02_electricfields-3.pdf
    103.4 KB · Views: 258
OK - in that example, a finite rod carries a charge of +50μC
Ah I see - the example working is done entirely in magnitudes - so if λ<0 then |λ|>0 and you get the same answer.

Try like this:

$$d\vec E = \frac{k\lambda\;dx}{x^2+y^2} \frac{y\hat\jmath - x\hat\imath}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}$$ ... this is because ##\vec r = y\hat\jmath - x\hat\imath## is the vector pointing from the charge to the location.

The model answer also substituted the numbers in too soon ... the best practise is to work out the general relation and then plug the numbers in. So derive ##\vec E(y)## and then put ##y=10## at the end.

Note: in that setup, if a positive test charge would be repelled up and to the left, then changing the sign of the charge distribution just results in a positive test charge being attracted down and to the right. I think this was your intuition?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field created by electrically charged particles. It describes the force exerted on other charged particles in the vicinity of the charged particles that created the field.

2. How is an electric field created by continuous charge distributions?

An electric field is created by continuous charge distributions through the accumulation of point charges. The total electric field is the vector sum of the individual electric fields created by each point charge.

3. How is the strength of an electric field determined by continuous charge distributions?

The strength of an electric field is determined by the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the charge. The electric field strength decreases with distance according to the inverse square law.

4. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a physical field that describes the force on a charged particle, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the energy of a charged particle at a specific point in the field.

5. How is the direction of an electric field determined by continuous charge distributions?

The direction of an electric field at any point is determined by the direction in which a positive test charge would move if placed at that point. The field lines always point away from positive charges and toward negative charges.