Electric flux through a plane described by an equation

In summary, by using the formula for electric flux, Flux = E dot A, and substituting the given values for E and A, we can find the electric flux through the given surface. However, in order to find the angle between the electric field lines and the unit vector normal to the surface, we also need to consider the angle between the field lines and the surface itself. This can be found by using the dot product formula for E and S, EScosφ, where φ is the angle between the field lines and the normal to the surface. The normal to the surface can be found by determining the gradient of the surface equation.
turquoisetea

Homework Statement

The elctric field in a certain region of space has components Ex = 6.0 N/C, Ey = 7.0 N/C, and Ez = 0. Find the electric flux though the surface x = 6y, 0 < x < 6.0 m, 0 < z < 1.0 m. What is the angle between the electric field and the unit vector normal to the surface?

Homework Equations

Flux=E dot A

The Attempt at a Solution

Flux=(6N/C)(6m)(1m)= 36 Nm^2/C
This is the same as the answer in the back of the book but it seems too easy, and I think there should be a cosine in there.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have [itex]\vec{E}(x, y, z)=(6.0, 7.0, 0) N/C[/itex].
[itex]\Phi=\vec{E}(x, y, z)\bullet\vec{S}[/itex] where [itex]\vec{S}[/itex] is a vector area. You can use the magnitudes of the vectors and the angle between them as [itex]EScos\phi[/itex], where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle between the field lines and the normal to the the surface area [itex]S[/itex]. Do you know how to find the normal to the surface you have?

Yes, I understand where the normal is, I just don't understand how to find the angle between the E-field lines and the area vector (normal). I can find the angle between the e-field lines and the x and y-axis but I cannot find the angle of the plane.

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is electric flux through a plane described by an equation?

The electric flux through a plane is described by the equation Φ = E * A * cos(θ), where E is the electric field strength, A is the area of the plane, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the plane.

3. What factors affect the electric flux through a plane?

The electric flux through a plane is affected by the strength of the electric field, the size of the area, and the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the plane.

4. How does the angle between the electric field and the plane affect the electric flux?

The angle between the electric field and the plane, represented by θ, determines the amount of electric field lines that pass through the plane. The greater the angle, the less electric flux will pass through the plane.

5. What is the unit of measurement for electric flux?

The unit of measurement for electric flux is volts per meter (V/m).