Electric flux through closed surface

In summary, the electric displacement flux density through the closed surface defined by p = 0.26, z = \pm 0.26 due to a point charge of 60\mu C located at the origin is \vec{D}(p,\phi,z) = \frac{Q}{4\pi} \frac{1}{\sqrt{p^2 + z^2}} \left ((\cos \phi + \sin \phi)\check{p} + (\cos \phi - \sin \phi) \check{\phi} + \check{z} \right).
Defennder
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find the total electric flux through the closed surface defined by [tex]p = 0.26, z = \pm 0.26[/tex] due to a point charge of [tex]60\mu C[/tex] located at the origin.

Note that in this question, p is defined to be what r is defined conventionally, and [itex]\phi[/itex] takes the place of [itex]\theta[/itex]. This is the book's notation, not mine and I'm using it here.

I'm trying to do the surface integral in terms of cylindrical basis vectors, henceforth denoted as [tex]\check{p}, \check{\phi}, \check{z}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I'm trying to do this question without using Gauss law or the divergence theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now the surface can be seen to be that of a cylinder of radius 0.26, with the circular tops and bottom at z = -0.26 and 0.26.

The electric displacement flux density [itex]\vec{D}[/tex], I have worked out it to be [tex]\vec{D}(p,\phi,z) = \frac{Q}{4\pi} \frac{1}{\sqrt{p^2 + z^2}} \left ((\cos \phi + \sin \phi)\check{p} + (\cos \phi - \sin \phi) \check{\phi} + \check{z} \right)[/tex].

I hope I got it right.

Now the surface integral is to be performed piecewise, for the top and bottom pieces and the curved sides.

So for the curved side. the surface integral is given by [tex]\int_{-0.26}^{0.26} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{Q}{4\pi} \frac{1}{\sqrt{0.26^2 + z^2} \cos \phi + \sin \phi d\phi dz[/tex].

I've omitted some steps such as the dot product of D with the normal vector (1,0,0) in cylindrical basis vectors.

This, strangely evaluates to 0.

For the other two tops, the surface integral is [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^0.26 \frac{Q}{4\pi} \frac{1}{\sqrt{p^2 + 0.26^2} dp d\phi[/tex]. Multiplying this result by 2, because of the symmetrical configuration gives [tex]Q ln (\sqrt{2} +1)[/tex].

But of course this isn't the case, since we know that the end result should be just Q by Gauss law, the charge enclosed in the cylinder. Where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there's something wrong with the latex I entered earlier. These should be the correct last two expressions:

[tex]\int_{-0.26}^{0.26} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{Q}{4\pi} \frac{1}{\sqrt{0.26^2 + z^2}} (\cos \phi + \sin \phi) d\phi dz[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{0.26} \frac{Q}{4\pi} \frac{1}{\sqrt{p^2 + 0.26^2}} dp d\phi[/tex]

It is 'strange' that the flux through the sides of the cylinder is zero. Because that's wrong. The field is always outward through the cylinder so the dot with the normal vector should always be positive. Hence your integrand in the first case should always be positive. Hence your field must be wrong.

In fact, I don't think the field expression has any explicit dependence on phi at all. The phi dependence of the field is in the phi dependence of the unit basis vectors p hat and phi hat.

Ok I worked through the expression fo D again and this time I got this:

[tex]\vec{D}_{(p,\phi,z)} = \frac{Q}{4\pi} \left ( \frac{p}{p^2+z^2} \check{p} + \frac{z}{(p^2+z^2)^{3/2}} \check{z} \right) [/tex]

This time, D doesn't depend on phi at all. Before I go any further, is this correct? Because I worked out the surface integral using this expression and didn't manage to get Q.

EDIT: I don't know if the Latex display is working but it doesn't seem to reflect the changes I made to the code. I used http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/index.php to check the syntax and it seemed all right.

If both denominators are supposed to be (z^2+p^2)^(3/2), then that's what I get.

Ok I managed to get that expression for D in cylindrical basis vectors, but somehow I still can't get the answer.

Here's the flux through the curve surface:

[tex]\frac{Q}{4\pi} \int_{0.26}^{-0.26} \int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{p}{(p^2+z^2)^{3/2}} d\check{\phi}dz[/tex]

This works out to be [tex]\frac{Q}{0.26\sqrt{2} }[/tex]

Flux through the cylindrical tops:

[tex]\frac{Q}{4\pi} \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int^{0.26}_0 \frac{z}{(p^2+z^2)^{3/2}} dpd\phi[/tex]

Multiplying this by 2 gives [tex]\frac{Q}{0.26\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Adding them up doesn't give Q, so did I setup the integrals correctly?

Not quite. The volume element isn't just dp*dphi*dz. It's p*dp*dphi*dz since you're in cylindrical (polar) coordinates. In the cylindrical integration the circumference length element is p*dphi. In the cap integral the measure is the usual polar coordinate p*dr*dphi.

Okay I think I got it now. Thanks! I'm not too familiar with this integration in cylindrical or spherical basis vectors because I haven't taken the class yet. I'm just trying to see what I can read through and understand with my engineering electromagnetics text. It doesn't help that the lecture notes I got from my upper-level course mates have plenty of printing errors.

One last question, you referred to the surface integral as requiring a volume integration. But what does a surface integral got to do with integrating over a volume? I thought the former was integrating over a 2D surface whereas volume integration is done over 3D space?

The surface integral doesn't really require the volume element, but you do need pieces of it. It was just an example to show you have to consider not only the integrand but also the integration measure when you do these.

What is electric flux through a closed surface?

Electric flux through a closed surface is a measure of the total electric field passing through that surface. It takes into account both the strength and direction of the electric field.

How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface normal vector, and then integrating over the entire surface. This can be represented by the equation Φ = ∫∫E⋅dA, where Φ is the electric flux, E is the electric field, and dA represents an infinitesimal area element on the surface.

What is the unit of measurement for electric flux?

The unit of measurement for electric flux is volts per meter (V/m) in SI units. However, it can also be measured in newton meters squared per coulomb (N·m²/C) in the CGS system.

What is the significance of a closed surface in electric flux?

A closed surface is significant in electric flux because it allows us to calculate the total electric field passing through a specific region, regardless of its shape or orientation. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the electric field in a given system.

How is the direction of electric flux determined for a closed surface?

The direction of electric flux for a closed surface is determined by the direction of the electric field and the orientation of the surface normal vectors. The flux is considered positive when the electric field and surface normal vectors are in the same direction, and negative when they are in opposite directions.