Electric flux through cube with nonuniform electric field

In summary, the given problem involves a nonuniform electric field throughout a closed surface with dimensions a=b=0.400m and c=0.600m. The electric field is given by E=(1.50-2.00x^2)i + (y)j + (1.00-z^3)k. In part A, the task is to find the flux through each side, including units and signs. This involves using the equations flux=EA and the integral of E.dA. For part B, the goal is to find the total charge enclosed in the box, which is not zero but rather the sum of the flux values at all sides of the box.
Brad155

Homework Statement

A closed surface with dimensions a=b=0.400m and c=0.600m is located as shown in the figure (be aware that the distance 'a' in the figure indicates that the rectangular box sits distance "a" from the y-z plane). The electric field throughout the region is nonuniform and given by E=(1.50-2.00x^2)i + (y)j + (1.00-z^3)k.

A. find the flux through each side (including units and signs)

B. find the total charge enclosed in the box.

phys4-1.jpg

Homework Equations

flux=EA
=integral of E.dA

The Attempt at a Solution

for A)

now for the left and right sides i know x doesn't change, so that should just be E*A in the i direction, but y and z change so they should be integral of E.dA, and the total flux through that side would be the sum of those 3. but how do you solve an integration of y.dA? would you just evaluate (y^2)/2 from .4 to 0? if this is correct i can figure out the rest, but i don't think you can integrate y.dA, because you need dy right?

the top and bottom sides y doesn't change, so that would just be EA for the j direction, and for the front and back z doesn't change so it would be EA in the k. but the integrations are killing me...

B) since there is no enclosed charge it is 0 right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not forget that dA is a vector, with direction normal to the surface and pointing outward, and the flux is the integral of the scalar product of the vector E with the vector dA: EdA For example, on the side of the box which is normal to the x axis, and x=a, you have EdA=ExdA= (1.50-2.00 a^2) dydz. At the parallel side, at x=0, dA points to the negative x direction, so EdA=ExdA=-1.5 dydz.

The enclosed charge is no zero, it is the sum of the flux values at all sides of the box.

ehild

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is electric flux calculated?

The electric flux through a surface is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector. This can be represented by the formula Φ = E · A, where E is the electric field and A is the surface area vector.

3. What is a nonuniform electric field?

A nonuniform electric field is one in which the magnitude and direction of the electric field varies across space. This can occur when there are multiple sources of electric field or when the electric field is affected by the presence of other charged objects.

4. How does a nonuniform electric field affect electric flux through a cube?

A nonuniform electric field can affect the electric flux through a cube by causing the electric field to vary across the surface of the cube. This means that the electric flux through each face of the cube will be different, depending on the strength and direction of the electric field at that particular face.

5. Can the electric flux through a cube with nonuniform electric field be negative?

Yes, the electric flux through a cube with nonuniform electric field can be negative. This can occur when the electric field and the surface area vector are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative dot product and a negative electric flux value.