1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Forces and fields question

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    Two charges are placed at an equal distance x from point P, as shown in the following diagram. Charge A is placed directly west of P and B is placed directly north of P.

1)If A is given a charge of –Q and B is given a charge of +Q, what is the direction of the resulting electric field at point P?
    A) southeast
    B) northwest
    C) northeast
    D) southwest
    Incorrect. Your answer=B, Correct answer=D

I need an explanation on how it's done, especially on how you get the angle which it travels and stuff. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2
    BUMP!

There is the attachment for the diagram. :)

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3
    Don't forget the field lines are curved as shown by this diagram.

220px-VFPt_charges_plus_minus_thumb.svg.png

Now just imagine that diagram rotated to suit your question

5. Jan 5, 2012 #4
    There I rotated it for you to make it easier to see.

Attached Files:

6. Jan 5, 2012 #5
    Erm, I still don't see the connection? The + attracts the - charge, and i guess i have to use pythagorean theorem, but how do i calculate which direction it is deflected?

I need a explanation, i totally suck at this topic..

7. Jan 5, 2012 #6
  8. Jan 5, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Figure the electric field at P due to B and the electric field at P due to A and add them as vectors.

9. Jan 5, 2012 #8
    Well it's a repellent force from the north and an attractive force from the west, ergo, the added force vector is toward the southwest.

10. Jan 6, 2012 #9
    Erm, how do I go about the vector addition?

I have lEl= kQ/x^2 for the field of B and lEl=k(-Q)/x^2 for field of A. and shouldnt it be southeast? Why do you say it's southwest?

11. Jan 6, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are just giving the magnitude of the field. Electric fields have a direction. Those two fields have the same magnitude |kQ/x^2|. What's the direction of each of the vectors?

12. Jan 7, 2012 #11
    How do I figure out the direction? The diagram arrows point towards in both ways?

13. Jan 7, 2012 #12

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Forget the dipole diagrams !

What is the direction of the Electric Field at P due to the -Q charge at point A ?

What is the direction of the Electric Field at P due to the +Q charge at point B ?

How do the magnitude of these two fields compare?

Add the two fields vector-wise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook