• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Electric Forces and fields question

Two charges are placed at an equal distance x from point P, as shown in the following diagram. Charge A is placed directly west of P and B is placed directly north of P.

1)If A is given a charge of –Q and B is given a charge of +Q, what is the direction of the resulting electric field at point P?
A) southeast
B) northwest
C) northeast
D) southwest
Incorrect. Your answer=B, Correct answer=D

I need an explanation on how it's done, especially on how you get the angle which it travels and stuff. Thanks

Attachments

Answers and Replies

BUMP!

There is the attachment for the diagram. :)

Don't forget the field lines are curved as shown by this diagram.

220px-VFPt_charges_plus_minus_thumb.svg.png

Now just imagine that diagram rotated to suit your question

There I rotated it for you to make it easier to see.
Erm, I still don't see the connection? The + attracts the - charge, and i guess i have to use pythagorean theorem, but how do i calculate which direction it is deflected?

I need a explanation, i totally suck at this topic..

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Bump!
Figure the electric field at P due to B and the electric field at P due to A and add them as vectors.

Well it's a repellent force from the north and an attractive force from the west, ergo, the added force vector is toward the southwest.

Figure the electric field at P due to B and the electric field at P due to A and add them as vectors.
Erm, how do I go about the vector addition?

I have lEl= kQ/x^2 for the field of B and lEl=k(-Q)/x^2 for field of A. and shouldnt it be southeast? Why do you say it's southwest?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Erm, how do I go about the vector addition?

I have lEl= kQ/x^2 for the field of B and lEl=k(-Q)/x^2 for field of A. and shouldnt it be southeast? Why do you say it's southwest?
You are just giving the magnitude of the field. Electric fields have a direction. Those two fields have the same magnitude |kQ/x^2|. What's the direction of each of the vectors?

How do I figure out the direction? The diagram arrows point towards in both ways?

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Two charges are placed at an equal distance x from point P, as shown in the following diagram. Charge A is placed directly west of P and B is placed directly north of P.

1)If A is given a charge of –Q and B is given a charge of +Q, what is the direction of the resulting electric field at point P?
A) southeast
B) northwest
C) northeast
D) southwest
Incorrect. Your answer=B, Correct answer=D

I need an explanation on how it's done, especially on how you get the angle which it travels and stuff. Thanks
Forget the dipole diagrams !

What is the direction of the Electric Field at P due to the -Q charge at point A ?

What is the direction of the Electric Field at P due to the +Q charge at point B ?

How do the magnitude of these two fields compare?

Add the two fields vector-wise.