Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Generator/Control selection help

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    Hi All,

This is my first post on here and hopefully there will be a successful outcome!

I am a final year engineering student and am working on a design project relating to power generation from a moving fluid.

I am seeking help in the design/selection of an electric generator/control system. I am wondering if it is possible to have closed loop circuit control on a generator to induce varying load control on the generator. The fluid source is of varying pressure resulting in a variable torque output. Power output is not overly large, 200-300 W. Torque is estimated to start at about 6 Nm, and decrease to about 3.5 Nm over a 1 minute period.

I am really open minded to the electrical side of things, just want to know what you think the best solution is. Voltage can be DC or AC, whichever you feel is best.

Thank you, and I hope some success will arise from this!

Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2
    Are you looking for a way to control the voltage output from the generator? I'm not 100% sure of your question.

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3
    Control current, voltage ideally remains constant

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook