Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric motor with outer rotor

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to find a DC motor with the rotating part on the exterior (the electromagnets and wires attached to the central axis) - something similar to a computer cooling fan or ceiling fan. It must be as powerful as possible for about 2 inches diameter. Any idea where I could find such a thing on the internet?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2
    I'd be amazed if you can find one that even exists, that you would be pretty awsome.

PC cooling fans and ceiling fans are not DC motors. They are AC motors. I know lots of places where you can find a AC motor and controller which will have a DC input to the controller.

4. Oct 9, 2008 #3
    When I said "something similar to a computer cooling fan or ceiling fan" I was refering to the mechanical similarity (i.e having the rotor on the exterior).

If you know where I could find such a motor (rotor in the exterior) with DC input please tell me.

5. Oct 9, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

The term for what you're looking for is an 'outrunner' motor. Try Googling that and you'll find lots of info.

6. Oct 9, 2008 #5
  7. Oct 9, 2008 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Hmmm...
    Give me a couple of days to sober up and I'll take another shot at it. It would be helpful if you can be more specific as to your requirements. Outrunners are the only things that I can think of, off of the top of my head, that match the originally posted question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?