Electric Potential across a Boundary

In summary: so the more the dielectric there is between the object and the field the less divergence there will be.
Apteronotus
Hi everyone,

I have a uniform electric field in which I place an object. I have read that the electric potential inside my object, [tex]\Phi_{in}[/tex], and the one on the outside, [tex]\Phi_{out}[/tex] must be equal at the boundary.
(ie. [tex]\Phi_{in}[/tex]=[tex]\Phi_{out}[/tex] on the boundary)
I don't understand why this is so. Can anyone shed some light.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Otherwise the electric field(=gradiant of the potential) at the boundary will diverge.

I really have no background in physics or electricity. Could you explain further?
1. what do you mean diverge?
2. why would it diverge?

1. I mean that the magnitude of the electric field is infinite.
2. [itex] -\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial x_i}=E_i [/itex].
This implies that if the potential changes abruptly the electric field will be infinitely strong.

Apteronotus said:
Hi everyone,

I have a uniform electric field in which I place an object. I have read that the electric potential inside my object, [tex]\Phi_{in}[/tex], and the one on the outside, [tex]\Phi_{out}[/tex] must be equal at the boundary.
(ie. [tex]\Phi_{in}[/tex]=[tex]\Phi_{out}[/tex] on the boundary)
I don't understand why this is so. Can anyone shed some light.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm, is that true? Seems it should depend on whether there is charge on the boundary, whether the boundary is made of metal or of plastic etc. And also whether the electrons are moving, or have reached their final positions.

I'm assuming an electrostatic case, so I guess the electrons would not be moving. Second, there are no free charges on the boundary.
I'm not really sure how the boundary material would come into play.

weejee said:
Otherwise the electric field(=gradiant of the potential) at the boundary will diverge.

the electric field would be infinite if the potential jumped at the boundary. divergence would be acceptable. one will get surface charges even with an insulator (dielectric).

What is electric potential across a boundary?

Electric potential across a boundary refers to the difference in electric potential between two points on either side of a boundary or interface between two different materials or mediums. It is a measure of the work required to move a unit charge from one point to another across the boundary.

How is electric potential across a boundary calculated?

The electric potential across a boundary can be calculated by taking the difference in electric potential between the two points on either side of the boundary. This can be done using the equation V = W/q, where V is the electric potential, W is the work done, and q is the charge.

What factors affect the electric potential across a boundary?

The electric potential across a boundary is affected by the distance between the two points, the type of material or medium the charge is moving through, and the amount of charge being moved. The presence of other charges or electric fields in the surrounding area can also affect the electric potential.

Why is electric potential across a boundary important?

Electric potential across a boundary is important because it helps us understand and calculate the movement of electric charges between different materials or mediums. It also plays a crucial role in many electrical and electronic devices, as well as in various physical and chemical processes.

How is electric potential across a boundary related to electric field?

The electric potential across a boundary is closely related to the electric field. In fact, the electric field is the gradient of the electric potential. This means that the electric field points in the direction of decreasing potential, and the magnitude of the electric field is directly proportional to the change in potential per unit distance.