Electric Potential Difference Created by Point Charges

In summary, the task was to find the total potential at location P, given a drawing showing four point charges with a value of 2.0 µC and a distance of 0.74 m. The individual charges were converted to 2.0e-6 and the formula V= kq/r was used to calculate potential values of -2.43e4 and 2.43e4 for the parallel and perpendicular charges, respectively. However, adding all the charges did not result in the correct answer. The solution involved finding the potential due to the positive and negative charges separately and adding them together, taking into account their distances from point P.
BoogieL80
I'm working on the following problem:

The drawing shows four point charges. The value of q is 2.0 µC, and the distance d is 0.74 m. Find the total potential at the location P. Assume that the potential of a point charge is zero at infinity.

http://www.boomspeed.com/boogiel80/physics19.3.gif

I converted my charge to 2.0e-6. I used the formula V= kq / r and came up with values of -2.43e4 for each of the parallel charges and the same numbers, only positive, for each of the perpendicular charges. I assumed I was suppose to add all the charges and I got a total of 0 V. However, webassign is saying that is the incorrect answer. Any input would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The charge to the top left is farther away than the others.

Alright I'm learning the same stuff right now so I should be able to help. The thing to remember is that these are not to be added as vectors. The positive charge q that is a distance d from point p will cancel out one of the -q charges that is a distance d from point p. So you will need to find the potential due to the positive charge q that is a distance 2d away from point p and the potential due to the -q charge that is a distance d from the point p. Add these together and you should get your answer.

1. What is electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential difference created by point charges?

Electric potential difference is created by the movement of charged particles, known as point charges, in an electric field. When a point charge moves from a higher potential to a lower potential, it creates a difference in potential energy, resulting in an electric potential difference.

3. How is electric potential difference calculated?

Electric potential difference is calculated by dividing the work done by an external force to move a point charge between two points by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, it is represented as V = W/q, where V is the potential difference, W is the work done, and q is the magnitude of the charge.

4. What is the relationship between electric potential difference and electric field?

Electric potential difference is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that as the electric field increases, the potential difference also increases. Furthermore, the direction of the electric field is in the direction of decreasing potential.

5. How does electric potential difference affect the movement of charges?

The movement of charges is influenced by the electric potential difference. Charges will move from a higher potential to a lower potential, as they tend to move towards a state of lower energy. This movement of charges is the basis for the flow of electricity in circuits and other electrical systems.