Electric potential/electric fields

In summary, the problem involves two oppositely charged students bringing their fingers close together, resulting in a spark at a distance of 7.0 cm. The question asks for the electric field between the fingers when sparking occurs and the potential difference between the two students. The relevant equations are q=fe, q=vc, and f= kq1q2/r^2. To solve for the electric field, use the formula E = F/q and the force equation F = (-kq^2)/(r^2). For the potential difference, use the formula V = kq/r. The value of q is not given in the problem and must be obtained through other means.
alligrass

Homework Statement

two oppositely charged students bring their fingers toward each other. a spark jumps between their fingers when brought 7.0 cm apart.

A) what is the electric field between fingers when sparking occurs

B) what is the potential difference between the two students

Homework Equations

q=fe
q=vc
f= kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i think i can get part b if i get a
but i don't really have aclue where to even start
i know e=q/f
but what does distance have to do with it??
can someone help me where to start??

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you mean E = F/q...

use the force which has the distance (r) as the distance where the sparking occurs.

so F = (-kq^2)/(r^2), since they are oppositely charged particles...

I think the rest is self explanitory, you can solve for E using the force equation F = Eq, and your done.

for part b use the potential difference formula between the students. V = kq/r.

but what is q

can someone else please explain this
i don't undersatnd fubag

q should've been given, otherwise if you're assuming its an electron/proton type problem then use q =+/- 1.6 *10^-19 Coulombs...im not sure what the question is asking for

ya q isn't given at all

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. It is created by electric charges and is measured in volts per meter (V/m).

How are electric potential and electric field related?

Electric potential and electric field are directly related. The electric field is the negative gradient of electric potential, meaning that the direction of the electric field is always in the direction of decreasing electric potential.

What is the formula for calculating electric potential?

The formula for calculating electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is a constant, Q is the electric charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

What are some real-world applications of electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential and electric field have many real-world applications, including powering electronic devices, generating electricity, and controlling the movement of charged particles in particle accelerators. They are also used in medical devices such as MRI machines and defibrillators.