Electric / thermal mineral separation.

In summary, Colin Wilson is looking for help and/or a partnership to test his new method of mineral recovery using induction heating. The three things required for this method are a tank circuit, a high power/high frequency oscillator, and the physical unit. Wilson has small concentrate samples from three gold mines and is considering using a spark gap oscillator for initial tests. However, someone suggests purchasing an induction heater instead, as Wilson's previous experience with designing and building one was not successful.
ColdGold
Hello my name is Colin Wilson and I am the inventor of a new mineral separation process.

http://www.coldgold.rotoquad.com

I am looking for help and/or a partnership in this endeavor.
As a group I can not think of a better place to start. To test this new method of mineral recovery 3 things are required:

1) The tank circuit.
2) A high power/high frequency oscillator.
3) The physical unit including the conveyance system.

The tank circuit requires good capacitors and a water cooled coil.
The HF oscillator is where I really need the help.
The physical unit can consist of EM shielding and a manual feed system to begin with.

In brief, induction heating relies on eddy currents and the “skin effect” to heat conductive materials. In the case of ferrous material the job is somewhat easier as hysteresis and a lower conductivity also comes into play.

I have small concentrate samples from 3 gold mines (the Yukon, Nevada and Cape Breton).
These samples are very typical with the gold particles averaging about 80 um (.003”).
To rapidly heat particles of this size and conductivity, frequencies in the 20-30 Mhz range are required. Power levels in the low kw range are also required (for a small test base).
Platinum would be easier given its relatively low conductivity but I have little knowledge, at the moment, of how the ore is prepared etc.
I also have a small machine shop and the ability to fabricate and program circuits based on the PIC microcontroller.
Initial tests can be conducted with somewhat larger particles and less conductive material (such as brass) to provide some initial data.
From a purely cost point of view I’ve been considering a spark gap oscillator for the first tests?
Any input etc. would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Purchase an induction heater.
I designed and built one 30 years ago, and I assure you, you don't want to go down that road.

1. What is electric/thermal mineral separation?

Electric/thermal mineral separation is a process used in mining and mineral processing to separate minerals based on their electrical conductivity and thermal properties. It involves passing an electric current or heating the mineral mixture to different temperatures to create a temperature gradient, which causes the minerals to separate based on their different conductivities and thermal expansion coefficients.

2. How does electric/thermal mineral separation work?

The process of electric/thermal mineral separation involves using specialized equipment such as electrostatic separators or thermal gradient tables. The mineral mixture is fed into the equipment and subjected to an electric current or thermal gradient, which causes the minerals to separate based on their different conductivities and thermal properties. The separated minerals are then collected and further processed.

3. What types of minerals can be separated using electric/thermal methods?

Electric/thermal mineral separation is suitable for a wide range of minerals, including conductive minerals such as copper, gold, and silver, as well as non-conductive minerals such as quartz, feldspar, and calcite. It is also effective for separating minerals with different thermal expansion coefficients, such as pyrite and chalcopyrite.

4. What are the advantages of electric/thermal mineral separation?

One of the main advantages of electric/thermal mineral separation is its efficiency in separating minerals that would be difficult to separate using other methods. It also has a lower environmental impact compared to other separation methods, as it does not involve the use of chemicals. Additionally, it can be used to recover valuable minerals from waste materials, making it a cost-effective solution for mining companies.

5. Are there any limitations to electric/thermal mineral separation?

While electric/thermal mineral separation has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It may not be suitable for separating minerals with similar conductivities or thermal properties, as the differences between them may not be significant enough for effective separation. Additionally, the process can be energy-intensive, and the equipment required can be expensive, making it less feasible for smaller mining operations.