Exploring the Molecular Mechanisms of Electrical Breakdown in Air

In summary, (1) running a ten-stage voltage multiplier causes sparking and crackling; (2) running the multiplier with current limit produces a violet arc that is sometimes smooth and quiet and sometimes jagged and hissy; (3) running a flyback transformer driver from a Jacob's Ladder produces a whitish flame-like arc.
Andy Kay
I have noted three different phenomena due to high electric fields in air.

1. When I run a ten-stage voltage multiplier I get sparking and crackling.

2. When I run the multiplier but current limit the output with ten 720k resistors in series, I get a violet arc that is sometimes smooth and quiet and sometimes jagged and hissy.

3. When I run a Jacob's Ladder from a flyback transformer (driver draws around 5A) I get a whitish flame-like arc.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is going on at the molecular level to give these three different phenomena?

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Andy Kay. :welcome:

In my home DIY experiments while at high school, I generated ozone by "a silent electric discharge in air". This involved two parallel electrodes in air, but with a length of glass tubing over one of them. This produced a purple glow inside the tubing, but a complete absence of snappy blue sparks. I'd say the mechanism is one where electrons are stripped off oxygen molecules by the high electric field but the high path impedance prevents the establishment of a continuous conductive path which would discharge the high tension source. Operation was characterised by the unmistakable penetrative smell of ozone (a gas you don't wish to breathe much of). This may be the explanation for your purple glow in (2), ionization but on a limited extent that doesn't support continuous conduction.

NascentOxygen said:
Hi Andy Kay. :welcome:

In my home DIY experiments while at high school, I generated ozone by "a silent electric discharge in air". This involved two parallel electrodes in air, but with a length of glass tubing over one of them. This produced a purple glow inside the tubing, but a complete absence of snappy blue sparks. I'd say the mechanism is one where electrons are stripped off oxygen molecules by the high electric field but the high path impedance prevents the establishment of a continuous conductive path which would discharge the high tension source. Operation was characterised by the unmistakable penetrative smell of ozone (a gas you don't wish to breathe much of). This may be the explanation for your purple glow in (2), ionization but on a limited extent that doesn't support continuous conduction.
Thank you for your reply. I think the salient comment was "does not support continuous conduction" -- this is helpful. I'm guessing, then, that the voltage multiplier spark consists of continuous conduction for as long as the capacitor stack can sustain it before needing time to recharge. Also that the current-limited voltage multiplier is, as you say, limited ionization without continuous conduction. And finally that the Jacob's Ladder effect is continuous conduction that does not need time for recharging. That would seem to make sense. Thank you for this and please correct me if I am still getting it wrong.

1. What is electrical breakdown of air?

Electrical breakdown of air is a phenomenon that occurs when a high voltage is applied to air, causing it to ionize and conduct electricity. This can result in a visible spark or arc, and can cause damage to electrical components.

2. What causes electrical breakdown of air?

Electrical breakdown of air is caused by the buildup of an electric field between two conductors, such as in a lightning strike or in high voltage equipment. The electric field exceeds the dielectric strength of air, causing it to ionize and become conductive.

3. How does the breakdown voltage of air vary with pressure?

The breakdown voltage of air decreases with decreasing pressure. This is because the lower air pressure results in a longer mean free path for electrons, making it easier for them to ionize the air molecules and cause breakdown.

4. Can electrical breakdown of air be prevented?

Electrical breakdown of air can be prevented by designing electrical systems with proper insulation and spacing between conductors, and by using materials with high dielectric strength. Lightning protection systems can also be installed to divert high voltage currents away from sensitive equipment.

5. How is electrical breakdown of air measured?

The breakdown voltage of air can be measured using specialized equipment such as a dielectric strength tester or a spark tester. These devices apply a gradually increasing voltage to a sample of air and measure the voltage at which breakdown occurs.