1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical circuit related problem

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the value of the voltage Vx
    across the 3A current source.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am really confused about how to do it. What I thought of is to find the voltage across the 4 ohm resistance which is 12 V. I though of subtracting that from the power sources.

But I am not sure which power source should be positive and which one should be negative?
    Should I just assume the bigger 6V to be positive just because it is the bigger power source?
    I might be completely wrong on this one. So please help me. This is not really a homework problem, this is in one of my practice tests, so I would appreciate any proper explanation I can get, rather than vague hints.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2
    Oh and please look at the attachment for the diagram

4. Sep 17, 2013 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Sure, sounds like a good idea. Use KVL around the left loop.
    The voltage sources are labeled with their polarities so no need to guess! Just do a "KVL walk" around the loop in either direction and sum up the potential changes as you go. The math will take care of itself.

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4
    ya u r right. Got it and thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted