Electrical current and Resistance and Energy

In summary, electrical current is the movement of electric charges through a conductor and is measured in amperes (A). Resistance is the opposition to this flow and is measured in ohms (Ω). Higher resistance results in a lower flow of current. Energy can be transferred through electrical current, with the amount depending on the current and time. Temperature can also affect resistance, with an increase in temperature typically resulting in an increase in resistance. Other factors that can affect the flow of electrical current include voltage, conductor material, length and cross-sectional area, and the presence of insulating materials or other components in the circuit.
mer584

Homework Statement

A 12v battery causes a current of .60A through a resistor. a) what is the resistance? and b) how many joules of energy does the battery lose in 1 minute?

Homework Equations

R= V/I; I= Q/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand part A that is just algebra and I got 20 ohms,
but I don't know how to translate this into energy lost. Can I use that second equation somehow with 60 seconds?

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind i figured it out i was dividing instead of multiplying!

Great job finding the resistance, which is 20 ohms. To calculate the energy lost by the battery, we can use the formula P=IV, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage. In this case, we know the current (0.60A) and voltage (12V), so we can calculate the power to be 7.2 watts. Since we are interested in energy lost in 1 minute, we can use the formula E=Pt, where E is energy, P is power, and t is time. Plugging in our values, we get 7.2 joules of energy lost in 1 minute.

Related to Electrical current and Resistance and Energy

1. What is electrical current and how is it measured?

Electrical current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in units of amperes (A) using an ammeter.

2. What is resistance and how does it affect electrical current?

Resistance is the opposition to the flow of electric current. It is measured in units of ohms (Ω) and is influenced by factors such as the material of the conductor and its dimensions. Higher resistance results in a lower flow of electrical current.

3. What is the relationship between electrical current and energy?

Electrical current is the movement of electric charges, which can transfer energy. The amount of energy transferred is directly proportional to the electrical current and the amount of time it flows, as described by the equation E = I x t (energy = current x time).

4. How does temperature affect electrical resistance?

Temperature can affect the resistance of a conductor due to changes in the material's properties. In most cases, an increase in temperature results in an increase in resistance, while a decrease in temperature causes a decrease in resistance.

5. What are some factors that can affect the flow of electrical current?

In addition to resistance, other factors that can affect the flow of electrical current include voltage, the type of material used for the conductor, the length and cross-sectional area of the conductor, and the presence of insulating materials or other components in the circuit.