1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Engineering or Physics major?

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    Which degree is more employable? Anyone ever change from Physics to EE and not be disappointed? I'm just scared to major in Physics because I've never seen a job posting that says "Physics Bachelor's required." So it's a bit scary. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I got my undergrad degree in physics and switched to EE for my master's. I've since switched
    to neurophysics. I was somewhat disappointed with the whole philosophy behind engineering after having been trained from a scientific philosophy. Anyhow, I still like physics, I still work in physics while I pursue other education goals.

EE has probably has more job availability than physics when it comes to working in your field, but a physics degree is pretty versatile for if you want to work outside your field. For instance, think of how many managerial positions in any number of industries you could get into simply by putting physics degree on your resume. You can go into medicine, engineering, or even business after a physics degree if you wish to continue your education. Or you can teach, of course.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    This is just based on what I know of my old friends from undergrad and what they did after graduation. If you are not planning on going to graduate or professional school, then EE is definitely more employable. With an EE degree you are immediately eligible to apply to engineering jobs. Whereas if you have a physics degree, engineering firms will wonder why they should hire you when they can just hire an engineer. As Pythagorean said, a physics degree is ultimately very versatile, if you wish to continue your education. I think physics does a better job of teaching you how to think and solve problems, but unfortunately this isn't a tangible thing that you can list on your resume.

Honestly if all you're interested in is employment (which is by no means an ignoble goal, especially in this economy), personally I'd go with engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook