1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical fields of spherical shells

1. Jul 19, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I am in a calc 1 general physics 2 summer session class and missed the lectures on this due to sickness. I'm really confused on applying coulomb's and gauss's laws to find the electrical field of a sphere or outside a sphere. This is of both variable and constant charge densities. I've been really struggling on this and feel retarded.

What is the exact process I need to apply to come up with the electrical field E:

1. of a sphere of uniform charge density ρ = cst inside the entire sphere

2. of a sphere of uniform charge density ρ = cst outside the sphere on a spherical shell of outer radius r

3. of a sphere of variable charge density ρ = ƒ(inner radius) inside the entire sphere

4. of a sphere of uniform charge density ρ = ƒ(inner radius) outside the sphere on a spherical shell of outer radius r

I can provide sample problems if needed.

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is a simple matter of applying the divergence theorem for a sphere of any given radius.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook