Electrical interference on data cables

• Thread starter TechTree
  • Start date
Hello, I've got two computers that are in separate rooms and I have placed plastic conduit through the small space above the ceiling. Which will have a USB data cable, an Ethernet network cable, and a HDMI cable inside. The conduit length is about 8m long. And I was wondering if this setup could cause any interference on the data cables due to their close proximity.

There are no wires carrying large amounts of power except from the USB cable carrying 5.2v 2A DC. Is there any additional shielding needed between the cables, or will it be okay?

Thanks! :wink:

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor
I would think that each of those cables is individually shielded given the frequencies they're operating at. But note that according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Cabling
"The USB 3.0 standard does not directly specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification: for copper cabling with AWG 26 wires the maximum practical length is 3 meters (9 ft 10 in)."

Do you think you can source 8m + long cables?

I suppose if you're going for USB 2 then you might make it. Dunno, haven't checked the specs. I suggest that you do before committing.

Likes dlgoff, berkeman and TechTree
Do you think you can source 8m + long cables?

I suppose if you're going for USB 2 then you might make it. Dunno, haven't checked the specs. I suggest that you do before committing.
There are types of USB extension cables called "Active USB extension cables" which have a special signal booster chipset, which can go for about 10m. While it is still possible to extend USB 3.0 using signal boosters they come at a much greater price.

Looks like I'm going to go with USB 2.0 just because I don't really need those super fast speeds. :wink:

Likes berkeman and gneill
Tom.G
Science Advisor
A quick Google search shows USB 2.0 max length of 5 meters. It also showed a 10 meter boosted cable for less than USD$10 and a 15 meter for under USD$20.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes dlgoff, gneill and davenn
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Depending on the screen resolution and equipment each end you may also have issues with the long HDMI cable. If possible just use one cable without any wall mounted face plates.