Electrical interference on data cables

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of two computers in separate rooms connected by a plastic conduit with USB, Ethernet, and HDMI cables running through it. The length of the conduit is 8m and the concern is whether this setup could cause interference on the data cables. It is noted that the USB cable carries 5.2v 2A DC and there is a discussion about the maximum length of USB cables and the possibility of using signal boosters. It is also mentioned that the HDMI cable may have issues with its length depending on screen resolution and equipment. The conversation concludes with the decision to use USB 2.0 and the suggestion to avoid wall mounted face plates.
TechTree
Hello, I've got two computers that are in separate rooms and I have placed plastic conduit through the small space above the ceiling. Which will have a USB data cable, an Ethernet network cable, and a HDMI cable inside. The conduit length is about 8m long. And I was wondering if this setup could cause any interference on the data cables due to their close proximity.

There are no wires carrying large amounts of power except from the USB cable carrying 5.2v 2A DC. Is there any additional shielding needed between the cables, or will it be okay?

Thanks! :wink:

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would think that each of those cables is individually shielded given the frequencies they're operating at. But note that according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Cabling
"The USB 3.0 standard does not directly specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification: for copper cabling with AWG 26 wires the maximum practical length is 3 meters (9 ft 10 in)."

Do you think you can source 8m + long cables?

I suppose if you're going for USB 2 then you might make it. Dunno, haven't checked the specs. I suggest that you do before committing.

Likes dlgoff, berkeman and TechTree
gneill said:
Do you think you can source 8m + long cables?

I suppose if you're going for USB 2 then you might make it. Dunno, haven't checked the specs. I suggest that you do before committing.
There are types of USB extension cables called "Active USB extension cables" which have a special signal booster chipset, which can go for about 10m. While it is still possible to extend USB 3.0 using signal boosters they come at a much greater price.

Looks like I'm going to go with USB 2.0 just because I don't really need those super fast speeds. :wink:

Likes berkeman and gneill
A quick Google search shows USB 2.0 max length of 5 meters. It also showed a 10 meter boosted cable for less than USD$10 and a 15 meter for under USD$20.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes dlgoff, gneill and davenn
Depending on the screen resolution and equipment each end you may also have issues with the long HDMI cable. If possible just use one cable without any wall mounted face plates.

1. What is electrical interference on data cables?

Electrical interference on data cables refers to the disturbance or noise that affects the transmission of digital signals through the cables. This interference is caused by external sources such as electromagnetic fields or other electronic devices.

2. How does electrical interference affect data transmission?

Electrical interference can disrupt the digital signals being transmitted through data cables, resulting in errors or loss of data. This can lead to slow internet speeds, dropped calls, or other issues with data transfer.

3. What are the common sources of electrical interference on data cables?

The most common sources of electrical interference on data cables are power lines, fluorescent lights, and electronic devices such as routers, microwaves, or cell phones. Other sources include radio frequency interference and electromagnetic interference from nearby electrical equipment.

4. How can electrical interference on data cables be prevented?

To prevent electrical interference on data cables, it is important to properly shield the cables and keep them away from sources of interference. Using high-quality cables and avoiding running them parallel to power lines can also help reduce interference. Additionally, using surge protectors and grounding equipment can further prevent interference.

5. What are the consequences of not addressing electrical interference on data cables?

If left unaddressed, electrical interference on data cables can lead to poor data transmission, resulting in slow internet speeds, dropped calls, or data loss. This can significantly impact businesses and individuals who rely on high-speed and reliable data transfer. It can also cause damage to electronic devices and affect their performance.