Electrical or Mechanical Engineering?

In summary: Thanks for your time.In summary, I like both engineering disciplines, but I am leaning towards Mechanical Engineering because of the energy focus. I don't know if nuclear engineering is a good option for me, but I am interested in it.
EfrainLagos
Hello people of the forum. This is my first time posting and in advance thanks for your answers.

I Like engineering, math and especially physics. At the moment I am in EE becouse I think it have a lot physics and I guess it have to do a lot with power generation and new technologies.

But Mechanical Engineering seems awesome to with all that thermodynamics and energy. There is no nuclear industry in my country but when it comes to nuclear power who has more to do a ME or EE?

In overall How you really choose a Branch of Engineering? I also like computers and robotics which i guess it falls in EE.

How you really choose between this two babies? My university don't offers double major and Physics degree its not an option.

Thanks for the forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about a nuclear engineering degree?

EnjoiTAD said:
What about a nuclear engineering degree?

There is no nuclear engineering in my country. So I am only between MechE and EE

If you don't mind to answer, which country do you live?

That might give a hint for some people on here!

EfrainLagos said:
Hello people of the forum. This is my first time posting and in advance thanks for your answers.

I Like engineering, math and especially physics. At the moment I am in EE becouse I think it have a lot physics and I guess it have to do a lot with power generation and new technologies.

But Mechanical Engineering seems awesome to with all that thermodynamics and energy. There is no nuclear industry in my country but when it comes to nuclear power who has more to do a ME or EE?

In overall How you really choose a Branch of Engineering? I also like computers and robotics which i guess it falls in EE.

How you really choose between this two babies? My university don't offers double major and Physics degree its not an option.

Thanks for the forum.

Honestly, from my experience of working at a plant. Both are equally as important.

The real question is, What are you most interested in?

If you love Thermodynamics and fluid flow, then ME.

kalakoi said:
If you don't mind to answer, which country do you live?

That might give a hint for some people on here!

Hello thanks for your answer.

Sorry my country is Honduras Central America

crazyisraelie said:
Honestly, from my experience of working at a plant. Both are equally as important.

The real question is, What are you most interested in?

If you love Thermodynamics and fluid flow, then ME.

I really don't know the answer to this question. I find them both interesting.

But always wanted to know what really was going on inside the computer which i guess is more electrical.

1. What is the difference between electrical and mechanical engineering?

Electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while mechanical engineering focuses on the design, development, and production of mechanical systems, such as machines and engines.

2. Can someone with a degree in electrical engineering work in the field of mechanical engineering?

While the two fields are different, there are some areas where their skills overlap. For example, an electrical engineer may work on the control systems of a mechanical device, or a mechanical engineer may design the housing for an electronic component. However, to work in a specific field, it is best to have a degree or training in that area.

3. What skills are necessary to become an electrical or mechanical engineer?

To become an electrical engineer, one should have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Mechanical engineers should also have a good understanding of these subjects, as well as materials science and mechanical design. Both fields require critical thinking, problem-solving, and strong communication skills.

4. Are there any subfields within electrical and mechanical engineering?

Yes, both fields have several subfields. Electrical engineering includes areas such as power systems, control systems, telecommunications, and electronics. Mechanical engineering has subfields such as thermal and fluid systems, manufacturing, and robotics. Within these subfields, there are even more specialized areas of study.

5. What career opportunities are available for electrical and mechanical engineers?

Electrical and mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy, and telecommunications. They can also work in research and development, consulting, and academia. With the increasing demand for sustainable energy and technology, there are many exciting career opportunities available in both fields.