Electrical power corridor supply

In summary, to bring hydro lines on towers together, it would require a protective housing and another utility to be piggybacked with the infrastructure upgrade.
ECO Maverick said:
No, I need an engineer to consult and discuss without looking down on me with a higher than thou attitude. With all due respect not you of course.

Look at your PF Inbox, I sent you a private message.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Air is quite a cheap insulator compared to other materials. Bringing wires closer together won't make the infrastructure cheaper.

Perhaps look at installing local wind or solar PV if transporting energy is so expensive.

Better still look at energy saving measures so you don't need to use so much in the first place?

CWatters said:
Air is quite a cheap insulator compared to other materials. Bringing wires closer together won't make the infrastructure cheaper.

Sorry, I have to disagree with that. The real estate needed for a transmission line (called right-of-way) is extensive and very expensive. Especially in urban areas. Imagine clearing a 100 meter wide corridor right across the middle of any big city, or any populated area. In many places, utilities have been told that they can never again expand the right-of-way real estate they already have. Future capacity growth must come from more efficient use of the existing right-of-way. Therefore, any scheme to build more than one line or a higher capacity line using the same right-of-way is very valuable. For example, designs of six phase or twelve phase transmission lines are sitting on the shelf waiting for the day when they become economically viable.

Underground and underwater cables of course use less right-of-way, but their cost per mile and their technical problems make them non-competitive in most cases.

But I don't think that is what the OP was asking about. What the OP is really asking is very muddled.

Likes Butter
CWatters said:

Perhaps look at installing local wind or solar PV if transporting energy is so expensive.

Better still look at energy saving measures so you don't need to use so much in the first place?
$ Money $. At some point the need for upgrading existing power lines has to be addressed. The SAD part is people today above 30 years of age keeps whining about the cost to them TODAY. What about the people that are under 40 that will be BURDENED by the costs( cost keeps going up) to upgrade an out of date system? The cost of upgrading can be greatly reduced if combing 1) electrical system upgrade 2)connecting the ENTIRE continent fibre optic system and 3) goinjg to the NEXT level rail service.

anorlunda said:
Sorry, I have to disagree with that. The real estate needed for a transmission line (called right-of-way) is extensive and very expensive. Especially in urban areas. Imagine clearing a 100 meter wide corridor right across the middle of any big city, or any populated area. In many places, utilities have been told that they can never again expand the right-of-way real estate they already have. Future capacity growth must come from more efficient use of the existing right-of-way. Therefore, any scheme to build more than one line or a higher capacity line using the same right-of-way is very valuable. For example, designs of six phase or twelve phase transmission lines are sitting on the shelf waiting for the day when they become economically viable.

Underground and underwater cables of course use less right-of-way, but their cost per mile and their technical problems make them non-competitive in most cases.

But I don't think that is what the OP was asking about. What the OP is really asking is very muddled.
I have asked from the beginning and will repeat it; What type of insulation is required to bring High voltage lines closer together? But every response gets into a major upheaval about costs or act like it's impossible.

If it was cheap and easy it would be used on new lines already.

ECO Maverick said:
I have asked from the beginning and will repeat it; What type of insulation is required to bring High voltage lines closer together? But every response gets into a major upheaval about costs or act like it's impossible.

You had your answer in post #5, plastics.

Likes davenn
ECO Maverick said:
What type of insulation is required to bring High voltage lines closer together?
have you tried a search on hv cable ?
Your search engine learns to send you stuff based on what it sees you study
mine's first hit suggests cross linked polyethylene
http://www.nexans.co.uk/eservice/UK-en_GB/fileLibrary/Download_540192183/UK/files/Nexans%20High%20Voltage%20Underground.pdf
and the second suggests oil impregnated polypropylene
http://www.divtecs.com/data/A%20500%20kV%20Power%20System%20for%20a%20Gridded%20Sheet%20Beam%20Klystron.pdf

as anorlunda said,

Likes anorlunda
jim hardy said:
have you tried a search on hv cable ?
Your search engine learns to send you stuff based on what it sees you study
mine's first hit suggests cross linked polyethylene
http://www.nexans.co.uk/eservice/UK-en_GB/fileLibrary/Download_540192183/UK/files/Nexans%20High%20Voltage%20Underground.pdf
and the second suggests oil impregnated polypropylene
http://www.divtecs.com/data/A%20500%20kV%20Power%20System%20for%20a%20Gridded%20Sheet%20Beam%20Klystron.pdf

as anorlunda said,

A huge thank you Sir. Everyone else said its too expensive or couldn't be done. Again very much appreciated, and with no attitude.

Likes jim hardy