Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical power corridor supply

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    What is required to bring hydro lines on towers together?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

I'm not even certain that is a complete sentence, but it is certainly not a complete thought. Please provide more background detail on the issue and a more specific question (is, is the "what" you are asking about pounds, dollars, people or aluminum?).

4. Dec 6, 2016 #3
    My apologies, I am a high school without diploma. Your right, let me ask the question in a different way. What obstacles would have to be overcome to combine all the wires presently carried by towers? Physically.

5. Dec 6, 2016 #4
    What type of materials would allow the wires to be in close contact?

6. Dec 6, 2016 #5

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, it sounds like you are looking at a power transmission line with three wires well separated. The main reason for the separation is to prevent lightning jumping from one line to another. In other words, insulation.

Underground and underwater power transmission cables use plastics for insulation. But they are expensive, they are limited in voltage, and they have high capacitance which causes problems on the power grid. Therefore they are not used for above ground lines.

So the reason why those wires are not closer together is not just because of materials.

Undersea cable underwater-cable.jpg

Overhead power line 394px-Pylon_ds.jpg

7. Dec 6, 2016 #6

russ_watters

@ECO Maverick may also be unaware that the three wires carry electricity in differently phased waveforms, so they cannot actually be combined.

But let me ask: why do you want to combine them?

8. Dec 6, 2016 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

pretty sure he just means "what it takes to bring this all together to make it work"

..... what combination of technology, materials etc

9. Dec 7, 2016 #8
    THANK YOU Russ and David. We Canadians and Ontarians are faced with 1) High costs for electricity, 2) High cost of upgrading hydro supply infrastructure and 3) lack of high speed rail. I'm a believer in Tesla. Can anybody see what needs to be done? The hydro lines need to be brought closer together in a protective housing and allow another need/utility to be piggy backed with the infrastructure upgrade.

10. Dec 7, 2016 #9

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have a misconception that doing as you suggest will cost less money. The cost would be higher.

11. Dec 7, 2016 #10
    The other option is to give up and as a society globally call under a rock and submit.

12. Dec 7, 2016 #11
  13. Dec 7, 2016 #12

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

@ECO Maverick , may I ask a question? How high are your high costs for electricity? I'm in Florida right now. The local price here is more than $0.18 / kWh. (Canadian $0.24 / kWh )

Some municipalities in your neighbor state, New York, get Niagara Falls power for as little as $0.025 / kWh.

14. Dec 7, 2016 #13
    I will research the exact 3's and get back to you on it. But the biggest political football in Ontario is the HIGH cost of hydro. On a seperate note WE in kanada are getting FLEECED by the FREE trade agreement that (1) we produce hydro at cost and Have to sell it to the U S at something like 18cents?? YES Mr trump rip up the FREE(???) trade agreement and as an honest (fair) business man pay the Actual cost. FAT chance. Sir Mr Anorlunda? with all due Respect, in this age of Me Me Me and GREED and selfishness do you think it will change?

15. Dec 7, 2016 #14
  16. Dec 7, 2016 #15
    Also the agreement say's the U S can commandeer our water.

17. Dec 7, 2016 #16

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We might be able to arrange to loan Mr. Trump to Canada. Or Ontario could apply to become the 51st state. Just kidding. :smile:

18. Dec 7, 2016 #17

19. Dec 7, 2016 #18
    Personaly, I don't approve of the republican or democrats the same for (our)conservative or liberals. When 90 children can die in one year( under the care of our courts and childrens aid) and NOTHING-ZERO was said. I look at today's world with a science/realistic mind and think it's a fcuked up world. So I wonder what life is all about. I sit looking at our local hydro tower's at the Kipling station and think there must be a better way. I look at the Deaths from both RAIL and Pipelines( Amtrak passenger crashed into the Mississippi river/ 47 KILLED by an oil train in Quebec. And the numerous pipeline explosions through out the %US. There has to be a better way.

20. Dec 7, 2016 #19

russ_watters

You're welcome.

I don't know Canadian politics or what specific project you might be referring to, but in general hydro is one of the cheapest forms of electricity. The reason is that while the infrastructure is indeed fabulously expensive, once it is paid for, all that is left is maintenance and operations; there are no fuel costs. That makes hydro over the long term one of the cheapest forms of electricity.

21. Dec 7, 2016 #20
    Also the amount of armed civilians that have armed forces experienced that Know the truth(government lies, 911 war on terror) sets up a very interesting scene for the future When eventually the truth is out and the Empire crashes( Trump threatening the Chinese who hold TRILLIONS in cashble bonds, legally). My stomach hurts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted