Calculating Resistance in a Hollow Cylinder with a Pierced Hole

In summary, the problem involves a cylinder with length 'L', radius 'a', and resistivity 'p'. After piercing a hole with a radius of a/2, the resistance equations for the hollow cylinder are R= 4/3 pL/(pi)a^2 and the total resistance with a new resistivity material p2 is R= 4/3 pL/(pi)a^2 X p2/p2+p. The 4/3 comes from replacing the outer and inner radius with 'a' and 'a/2', respectively.
Mythian
This problem is about a cylinder, which its length is 'L', its radius 'a' and its resistivity 'p'.

We pierce a hole in the cylinder (this hole has a radius of a/2)

I have now to

a) prove that the resistance equation(between the ends) of this hollow cylinder is

R= 4/3 pL/(pi)a^2

b) prove that the total resistance of the same hollow cylinder filled with a new resistivity material p2 is:

R= 4/3 pL/(pi)a^2 X p2/p2+p

I tried to prove A but it gives me R=pL/pi(b^2 - a^2)...which is not what I want. I have NO idea where does the 4/3 from the equation of the question comes from. If someone could help me with a hint or something, it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mythian said:
This problem is about a cylinder, which its length is 'L', its radius 'a' and its resistivity 'p'.

We pierce a hole in the cylinder (this hole has a radius of a/2)

I have now to

a) prove that the resistance equation(between the ends) of this hollow cylinder is

R= 4/3 pL/(pi)a^2

b) prove that the total resistance of the same hollow cylinder filled with a new resistivity material p2 is:

R= 4/3 pL/(pi)a^2 X p2/p2+p

I tried to prove A but it gives me R=pL/pi(b^2 - a^2)...which is not what I want. I have NO idea where does the 4/3 from the equation of the question comes from. If someone could help me with a hint or something, it would be much appreciated.

By [itex] b^2 - a^2 [/itex] I think you mean the outer radius squared minus the inner radius squared, right? So you mean [itex] a_{max}^2 - a_{min}^2 [/itex]. Then just replace a_max by "a" and a_min by "a/2". You will see the 4/3 appear.

What is electrical resistance?

Electrical resistance, also known as resistance, is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current through a material. It is denoted by the symbol "R" and measured in ohms (Ω).

What factors affect electrical resistance?

The factors that affect electrical resistance include the type of material, its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Materials with higher resistivity, longer length, and smaller cross-sectional area will have higher resistance. Resistance also increases with an increase in temperature.

How is electrical resistance calculated?

The electrical resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This can be represented by the formula R = V/I. Alternatively, resistance can also be calculated using the equation R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area.

What are some examples of materials with high and low electrical resistance?

Materials with high electrical resistance include rubber, glass, and plastic. These materials are often used as insulators to prevent the flow of electricity. Materials with low electrical resistance, also known as conductors, include metals such as copper, silver, and gold. These materials allow electricity to flow easily.

How does temperature affect electrical resistance?

As the temperature of a material increases, its resistivity also increases, resulting in higher electrical resistance. This is because as temperature increases, the atoms in the material vibrate more, causing more collisions and hindering the flow of electrons. Some materials, such as semiconductors, exhibit a decrease in resistance with an increase in temperature, known as a negative temperature coefficient.