Calculating Resistivity of a Cylinder with a Hole

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Alexstre
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A cylinder of radius a with a hole through it (of radius a/2) is filled with a material of resistivity p_2. Show that the total resistivity is now 4*(pL / pi*a²) (p_2 / 3p_2 + p)


Homework Equations


R=pL/A


The Attempt at a Solution


I started with a full cylinder and a single value of p:
R=pL/pi*a²

Then worked my way to a cylinder with a hole in it (empty):
A_full - A_hole = pi*a² - pi*(a/2)² and found A= (3/4)*pi*a² so:
R = (4/3) * pL / pi*a²

Now I know that I need to add both values of p somehow, but I'm unsure of the relation between 2 materials with different values of p.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it as two resistors in parallel.