Calculating Resistivity of a Cylinder with a Hole

The total resistance is given by the formula R = (p_1 * p_2) / (p_1 + p_2).In summary, the problem deals with a cylinder of radius a with a hole of radius a/2 filled with a material of resistivity p_2. The goal is to find the total resistivity of the cylinder, which is shown to be 4*(pL / pi*a²) (p_2 / 3p_2 + p) by considering the cylinder as two resistors in parallel. The formula for total resistance in this case is R = (p_1 * p_2) / (p_1 + p_2).
Alexstre

Homework Statement

A cylinder of radius a with a hole through it (of radius a/2) is filled with a material of resistivity p_2. Show that the total resistivity is now 4*(pL / pi*a²) (p_2 / 3p_2 + p)

Homework Equations

R=pL/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with a full cylinder and a single value of p:
R=pL/pi*a²

Then worked my way to a cylinder with a hole in it (empty):
A_full - A_hole = pi*a² - pi*(a/2)² and found A= (3/4)*pi*a² so:
R = (4/3) * pL / pi*a²

Now I know that I need to add both values of p somehow, but I'm unsure of the relation between 2 materials with different values of p.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it as two resistors in parallel.

What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electric current. It is often denoted by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and has units of ohm-meters (Ω·m).

How is resistivity calculated?

Resistivity is calculated by dividing the resistance of a material by its cross-sectional area and length. The formula is ρ = R × A / L, where ρ is resistivity, R is resistance, A is cross-sectional area, and L is length.

What factors affect the resistivity of a cylinder?

The resistivity of a cylinder is affected by its material, temperature, and dimensions. Different materials have different resistivities, and as temperature increases, resistivity also increases. The dimensions of the cylinder, such as length and cross-sectional area, also play a role in its resistivity.

What are some examples of materials with high and low resistivity?

Some materials with high resistivity include rubber, glass, and plastic. These materials have a low concentration of charge carriers, making it difficult for electric current to flow through them. Some materials with low resistivity include copper, aluminum, and gold, which have a high concentration of charge carriers.

Why is the resistivity of a cylinder important?

The resistivity of a cylinder is important because it helps us understand how easily electric current can flow through a material. This information is crucial in designing and selecting materials for various applications, such as in electrical wiring, electronic devices, and power transmission lines.