Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical tester to record pulses?

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    Hi, I'm Russell and new to the forum. By the looks of things there are lots of interesting topics and plenty of helpful people here, so I hope you can help me.

I'm having a problem with the communication between a bagging machine and weigher. The pulse signal from the PLC that tells the weigher to drop is sometimes drifting. I'm looking to buy some kind of electrical tester that can record pulses over a long time and be analysed easily. I'm thinking some kind of portable oscilloscope could do the job, but unsure which one to pick, and realise some can be very expensive.

Edit: Just to be clearer, I want to record a 24VDC signal/pulse over an hour or more and would like to view the data through some kind of graph or table.

Thanks,

Russell

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2
    Hello Russ - sorry but "that tells the weigher to drop is sometimes drifting" I really can not understand.

You will need to provide more specific info to get good support here.

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the response, but actually that part of my post is not really needed to understand what I'm after, but now I think about it I could have added better information, so, sorry for not being clearer.

Basically, I want to find a tester that can record 2 or more pulses in a control circuit to and from a PLC (24VDC), and be able to analyse the data in some kind of graph / table form.

I hope that's easier to understand

5. Feb 16, 2013 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

6. Feb 16, 2013 #5
    Logic analyzer?

7. Feb 16, 2013 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do a search on data loggers. You may be able to find what you need at reasonable cost.

8. Feb 20, 2013 #7
  9. Feb 20, 2013 #8

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Here are some of the manufacturer’s interface products:
    http://www.astro-med.com/data_acquisition_systems/accessories [Broken]

Normally a company like this has sales engineers ready and willing to communicate with you about your technical requirements, and, of course, sell you whatever you need.

May I suggest you not limit yourself to just one supplier/source? I would search out several options, then choose one that suits your needs best.

Cheers,
    Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook