Electricity and magnetism book (preferably with lots of examples)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 6K views
Null_
Messages
227
Reaction score
0
I'm taking E&M next semester, and the book we use is quite good at explaining concepts, but it only has 9-12 questions per chapter. I would like to do more practice problems. We used the same book for modern mechanics (it is a two-edition set, the first is mech and the second is E&M).

Any suggestions? I got the second edition of the book I need for free from a friend, so I'm willing to spend the $120 I would have spend on this book on a book, provided it is good. I am taking Calc II next semester but will be studying Calc III material as well.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
there are many torrents with physics textbooks of every kind free of charge, great if your looking for just a few more examples
 
Thanks, Daverz. I will check it out from my school's library. My school's library has lots of books, so I can just check out books see if I like them enough to buy it.
 
Null, might that be Chabay and Sherwood?

A very comprehensive text that also has loads of problems Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics. It is a graduate level text though...
 
blacknovember said:
Null, might that be Chabay and Sherwood?

A very comprehensive text that also has loads of problems Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics. It is a graduate level text though...

This is not a good recommendation AT ALL for someone at this level. There are only two types of problems in Jackson: 1) extremely difficult ones, 2) ones that waste your life which are extremely difficult.
 
@Disinterred
Oops, didn't read the question though. If graduate though, I recommend Jackson.

In my second year undergrad we used Griffiths. Thats a nice book.

Although in hindsight, probably won't help now