Books for a Good Foundation in Physics

In summary, the person is looking for a book that explains the basics of main physics concepts with relatable examples and diagrams and minimal math. They are considering "Understanding Physics" by Isaac Asimov and have received positive feedback on it. Other recommended books include "6 Easy Pieces" and "6 Not So Easy Pieces" by Feynman and the complete Feynman Lectures.
Tracey3
Hi there, I have recently started an Engineering course and I have quickly realized that there are gaps in my knowledge or the material that I'm being taught, doesn't quench my thirst for understanding of the topics.

I would like to find a book that explains basics of the main concepts like motion, sound, heat, light, magnetism and electricity. That being said, my Math is not the best, I know some Calculus, Algebra,Trig etc.
I would like to find some book that would explain the theory more with words and relatable examples than pure math. I was considering getting "Understanding Physics" by Isaac Asimov but wanted to get some feedback before spending my money.

P.S. A book with lots of diagrams would be preferable :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't fully taken the required math yet, but I've read Asimov's book and it explains the concepts very well. Very minimal math. Another really good one is 6 Easy Peices and 6 Not So Easy Peices by Feynman. Its old, but he uses analogies for everything and makes it easy to understand. I haven't taken my Physics courses in college yet but these are really good for a general idea imo.

Likes Tracey3
University physics is the best book ever

Here are some nice free books available on PF:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/free-physics-books.796223/

DS2C said:
Another really good one is 6 Easy Peices and 6 Not So Easy Peices by Feynman

I think the OP is looking for some study books although 6 easy pieces are really fun books to read IMO they are not study books with detailed diagrams etc. In that case it is maybe better to go for the complete Feynman Lectures as 6 Easy Pieces are just a couple of part from the original Feynman Lectures. The is a free online version available here:

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/index.html#Ch1-SUM

I hope this helps.

Likes DS2C

1. What is the purpose of "Books for a Good Foundation in Physics"?

The purpose of "Books for a Good Foundation in Physics" is to provide readers with a solid foundation in the fundamental principles and concepts of physics. These books are designed to introduce readers to the basics of physics and build their understanding of the subject from the ground up.

2. Who would benefit from reading these books?

These books are beneficial for anyone who is interested in learning about physics, whether they are complete beginners or have some prior knowledge of the subject. They are particularly useful for students who are studying physics in high school or college, as well as for those who are pursuing a career in a field that involves physics, such as engineering or astronomy.

3. What topics are covered in these books?

These books cover a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. They also introduce readers to important concepts such as forces, energy, motion, and waves. Each book typically focuses on a specific topic or subfield within physics, providing a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of that subject.

4. Are these books suitable for self-study?

Yes, these books are designed to be accessible for self-study. They are written in a clear and easy-to-understand language, with plenty of examples and illustrations to help readers grasp the concepts. However, it is recommended to supplement the reading with practice problems and additional resources to enhance understanding and retention of the material.

5. Can these books be used as a supplement to a physics course?

Yes, these books can be used as a supplement to a physics course. They are a great resource for students who want to review or reinforce their understanding of a particular topic. They can also be used by teachers as a supplemental textbook for their students. However, it is important to note that these books should not be used as a replacement for a comprehensive physics course.