Electricity - Solving unknown variables for mixed circuits

In summary, using Kirchoff's law and Ohm's law, we can find the values for V1, V2, V3, I0, I1, I2, and I3 in the given circuit. By finding the equivalent resistance of R1 and R2, we can determine that the first equation in the attempt at a solution is incorrect. After finding the correct equivalent resistance, we can calculate the values for V1, V2, V3, I0, I1, I2, and I3, which may differ from the answers provided in the textbook.
anonymous12

Homework Statement

7. Find V1, V2, V3, I0, I1, I2, and I3 for the circuit in Figure 2.

photo.JPG

V0 = 120V
R3=15 ohms
R1=3 ohms
R2 = 6 ohms

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's law
Ohm's law

The Attempt at a Solution

R0 = R1 + R3
= 3 + 15
=18 ohms I0=V0/R0
=120/128
=6.66A

I1=I3=I0
I1=I3=6.66AV3=R0 X I3
= 18 X 6.66
=99.9V

V1=V0 - V3
=120-99.9
=20.1V

V2=V1
V1=20.1V
I2 = V2/R2
= 20.1/6
=3.35A

This is what I did but when I look at the back of the textbook it gives me different answers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First equation is wrong. You can't add those two resistors.

Find an equivalent resistance first.

SirAskalot said:
First equation is wrong. You can't add those two resistors.

Find an equivalent resistance first.

How come you can't add R1 and R3? Aren't they both in a series circuit?

You can't add them because they are in different loops. R1 and R2 are in parallel, so start from there.

Can you please explain why my answers are different?Hello, as a scientist, I can provide some insights on your attempt at solving this circuit. Firstly, I would like to commend you for using Kirchoff's law and Ohm's law in your solution. These are essential tools in solving mixed circuits.

However, upon examining your calculations, I noticed a few errors that may have led to different answers compared to the textbook. Let's go through them one by one:

1. In your calculation for R0, you added R1 and R3, which is correct. However, you used the value of R3 as 15 ohms, when in fact it is given as 6 ohms in the problem statement. This is a minor error, but it can significantly affect your final answers.

2. For I0, you used the value of R0 as 128 ohms, instead of the correct value of 18 ohms. This is a simple mistake, but it resulted in a significantly higher value for I0.

3. For V3, you used the value of I3 as 6.66A, which is correct. However, you used the value of R0 as 18 ohms, instead of the correct value of 128 ohms. This led to a much lower value for V3.

4. Similarly, for V1, you used the incorrect value for V3, which led to a lower value for V1.

5. For I2, you used the value of V2 as 20.1V, instead of the correct value of 20.1V. This is a small error, but it can result in a slightly different value for I2.

Overall, these small errors in your calculations can lead to significantly different answers compared to the textbook. As a scientist, it is crucial to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values in each step.

I hope this explanation helps you understand why your answers are different from the textbook. Keep practicing and double-checking your calculations, and you will surely improve in solving mixed circuits. Good luck!

1. What is a mixed circuit?

A mixed circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both series and parallel components. This means that some components are connected in a single loop (series) while others are connected in branches (parallel).

2. Why is solving unknown variables for mixed circuits important?

Solving unknown variables for mixed circuits is important because it allows us to understand and predict how electricity flows through a circuit. This is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

3. What are the common methods for solving unknown variables in mixed circuits?

The two most common methods for solving unknown variables in mixed circuits are Kirchhoff's laws and the node-voltage method. Kirchhoff's laws use the principles of conservation of charge and conservation of energy to analyze a circuit, while the node-voltage method uses the concept of voltage differences between nodes in the circuit.

4. How do you apply Kirchhoff's laws to solve a mixed circuit?

To apply Kirchhoff's laws, you must first identify all the branches and nodes in the circuit. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) at each node to determine the current flowing into and out of the node. You can also use Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) to analyze the voltage drops and rises in a closed loop.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving mixed circuits?

While there are no shortcuts or tricks for solving mixed circuits, it is helpful to break down the circuit into smaller, simpler parts and solve them individually before combining the solutions. Additionally, using a circuit simulator or software can make the process easier and more efficient.