Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electro-Magnet with a Car Battery Help

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone.

I'm glad to be part of the Physics Community, I've read a lot of interesting threads, and I think now i'm ready to be party of it!

For my project, I'm trying to create a ElectroMagnet using a Car Battery. The specifications for this battery are..

• 12V
    • 390A
    • 65 RC - What does this mean?
    • 43 AH - What does this mean?

As you can see, I have no idea what those two mean, so any info would be nice :)

Looking on amazon.com for some wire for my electromagnet, I searched a post before saying I would need at least 404ft of wire. I don't want to short circuit the battery, so I think that might be enough?

Also a question. I came across this on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Fi-Shock-WC-...?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1321110814&sr=1-3"

Would it be possible to use Steel wire than copper wire? Or would copper wire be the only option? I'm thinking around £10-16 maximum i'm willing to spend.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Owen.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

12, volts
    390A, cranking amps
    RC65, is for reserve capacity
    AH43, Amp Hour capacity until fully discharged.

This is a starting battery that's optimized to give very high "short" bursts of current.

Don't use iron wire unless you want to create a space heater. The resistance is far too high. That fence wire for high voltage, low current applications.

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    Ah ok then. Thanks for the info and site!

If I wanted to create this magnet, when I say would it be safe of doing it directly, Wire to terminals? Or would I need to have at least 404ft of 14gauge copper wire to compensate for the voltage it is giving out?

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4

nsaspook

Science Advisor

6. Nov 12, 2011 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook