Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic boundary conditions for symmetric model

1. Apr 1, 2015 #1
    I stumbled upon this article: http://www.comsol.com/blogs/exploiting-symmetry-simplify-magnetic-field-modeling/

Since the article does not contain any mathematical formulations, I was wondering how the boundary conditions can be expressed in terms of magnetic vector potential.

From what I have gathered, the Perfect Magnetic Conductor boundary condition corresponds to a Zero Neumann boundary condition, where the normal derivative of the magnetic vector potential is set to zero at the boundary:

[tex]{\mathbf{\hat{n}} } \cdot \dfrac{\partial \mathbf{A}}{\partial \mathbf r} = 0[/tex]

From the above, how can one prove that this forces the magnetic flux density vector to cut the boundary at right angle?

Also, I am having trouble figuring out what the Magnetic Insulation boundary condition corresponds to. Is it a Dirichlet boundary condition?

If yes, is it [tex]{\mathbf{\hat{n}} \cdot {\mathbf A}} = 0 [/tex], or just [tex]{\mathbf A} = 0 [/tex]

If it is the former, I can see how the magnetic flux density is zero in the normal direction to the boundary and non-zero in the tangential direction.

Thanks in advance for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2015 #2
    Anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook