How Strong Does an Electromagnet Need to Be to Lift a 10 kg Weight?

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help on building an electromagnet strong enough to bring down a 10kg steel weight from a distance of 150cm below. They are unsure of the necessary size, number of coils, diameter, and voltage needed and are looking for assistance. The solution may involve trial and error or a numerical approach due to the complexity of the calculations and variables involved.
Hansprunner
Hello all,
I am not at all good at physics or have studied it but have been asked to build something rather peculiar.

I need to have an electromagnet which will have enough strength when activated to bring a 10 kg steel weight from above it down to meet the magnet. It would be positioned 150cm meter below the 10kg weight which is on a pivot with an armature length of 100 cm.

How can I figure out what size magnet and how many coils of copper I would need around what diameter and how many volts I need?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This is very tricky. You can calculate the magnetic field and the force required fairly easily, but to calculate the relationship between them is complicated, and will depend a lot on the geometry and the magnetic characteristics of the steel, and probably the core as well.

I'd recommend trial and error or a numerical approach.

1. What is an electromagnetic equation?

An electromagnetic equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. It describes how these fields interact with each other and with charged particles.

2. How is an electromagnetic equation used?

Electromagnetic equations are used in many fields of science and engineering, including electricity, magnetism, optics, and electromagnetics. They are used to predict and analyze the behavior of electromagnetic fields in various systems and devices.

3. What are the basic components of an electromagnetic equation?

The basic components of an electromagnetic equation are the electric field, magnetic field, and charge or current density. These components are represented by mathematical symbols such as E, B, and ρ or J, respectively.

4. Are there different types of electromagnetic equations?

Yes, there are different types of electromagnetic equations. Some of the most well-known ones include Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism, and the wave equation, which describes the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

5. How can I solve an electromagnetic equation?

Solving an electromagnetic equation involves using mathematical techniques such as integration, differentiation, and vector calculus. It also requires a good understanding of the physical principles involved and how to apply them to the specific problem at hand.