Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic force required to levitate an object

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to use some home-made electromagnets to lift a small object. I am a college student, but this is a personal project, so while I may reference something from a textbook, its not a homework problem.

I know that I can get some iron bar, coil it with wire, run some current through it and see if it works, but I want to know the math behind it. I know I'm trying to make a solenoid with a core, and the formula my book gave me for the B field is B=μo*i*n where μo is the permeability of free space, i is the current in amps, and n is the number of coils. My book leads me to believe that B is in Teslas, but when I try out different numbers in Mathcad I get resulting units of Tesla-meters. I found on wikipedia B=[μo*i*n]/L where L is the length of the solenoid, and this gives me the units I'm looking for. Can someone point me into the right direction here?

Next question is, how do I relate the magnetic field of my electromagnet to the mass of the object I want to lift? I know I need to set the electromagnetic force equal to m*g*h, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

Am I even on the right track? If I'm not, I'd appreciate all the help I can get. I've searched and searched online trying to find this stuff but I haven't found anything overly helpful.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2
    hey the n (for the B field is B=μo*i*n where μo is the permeability) you mentioned first time is no. of turns per unit length
    the n you mentioned the second time is no. of turns N

L- length of the solenoid

As to the basic question , what you are trying to do is impossible because magnetic field of a solenoid OUTSIDE it is ZERO (practically negligible)
  4. Feb 7, 2012 #3

Thanks for the help with the first part. I'm embarrassed I didn't see that before.

As for the second part, if I add a ferromagnetic core (loosely quoting wikipedia), then the same equation holds true as long as I take into account the permeability of the core.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?