Electromagnetic induction of two wires

In summary: This is due to the electromagnetic pulse created by the lightning bolt.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between two wires in parallel at a distance r apart, with the primary wire generating a magnetic field at distance r. The question is raised about the area related to the secondary wire and whether the thickness times the length of the secondary can be assumed. The ultimate goal is to calculate the induced voltage, with the secondary being shorter than the primary. The topic of induced voltage from lightning bolts is also briefly mentioned.
Atria
I have two wires in parallel at a distance r apart. They are unequal in length. The current carrying primary generates a magnetic field B at distance r. What is the area related to the secondary through which B passes? Is it correct to assume the thickness times the length of the secondary? All I want to do is calculate the value of E, induced in the secondary.

Physics news on Phys.org
The secondary is shorter than the primary

Atria said:
I have two wires in parallel at a distance r apart. They are unequal in length. The current carrying primary generates a magnetic field B at distance r. What is the area related to the secondary through which B passes? Is it correct to assume the thickness times the length of the secondary? All I want to do is calculate the value of E, induced in the secondary.

Atria said:
The secondary is shorter than the primary

Welcome to the PF.

You need a loop of wire for the secondary to induce any voltage and current in it. What is the physical setup exactly? What is the context of the question? Can you post pictures or drawings of the setup?

I have read in an article, a while ago, that a lightning bolt induces voltage spikes in conductive objects i.e. lampposts plumbing systems, electrical power networks, etc.

1. What is electromagnetic induction of two wires?

Electromagnetic induction of two wires is a phenomenon where a change in the magnetic field of one wire induces an electric current in the other wire. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic fields created by the flow of electric current in the wires.

2. How does electromagnetic induction of two wires work?

When there is a change in the magnetic field of one wire, it creates a changing magnetic flux. This changing magnetic flux then induces an electric current in the other wire, as described by Faraday's Law of Induction.

3. What are the applications of electromagnetic induction of two wires?

Electromagnetic induction of two wires has various practical applications, such as in transformers, generators, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology and in induction cooktops.

4. How does the distance between the two wires affect electromagnetic induction?

The strength of the induced current in the second wire is inversely proportional to the distance between the two wires. This means that the closer the wires are, the stronger the induced current will be.

5. What factors can affect the amount of induced current in the second wire?

The amount of induced current depends on the rate of change of the magnetic field, the distance between the wires, the material and thickness of the wires, and the orientation of the wires with respect to each other and the changing magnetic field.