Electromagnetic induction question, coils and magnets

In summary, when a magnet is moved into a stationary coil, there will be an induced voltage while the magnet is in motion. However, once the magnet stops moving, the voltage will be zero since there is no change in flux through the coil's windings. The inductance of the coil will cause the current to take some time to drop to zero.
Hannah7h
Say you have a coil connected in a closed circuit. You then move a magnet inside of the coil and it remains stationary inside of the coil. Is the magnet, even though it is stationary, still inducing an emf in the coil or is it not? I'm guessing it doesn't induce an emf in the coil because there is no change in flux linkage, but I'm not too sure.

Thank you for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hannah7h said:
You then move a magnet inside of the coil and it remains stationary inside of the coil.
I am not sure what you are asking. How can the magnet both move and remain stationary?

Do you mean that both the magnet and the coil are moving at the same velocity so that they have no relative motion? Or do you mean that the magnet remains at rest and the coil moves relative to the magnet?

Dale said:
I am not sure what you are asking. How can the magnet both move and remain stationary?

Do you mean that both the magnet and the coil are moving at the same velocity so that they have no relative motion? Or do you mean that the magnet remains at rest and the coil moves relative to the magnet?

Oh sorry! I meant you move the magnet INTO the coil and then it remains stationary inside of the coil

Hannah7h said:
Is the magnet, even though it is stationary, still inducing an emf in the coil or is it not? I'm guessing it doesn't induce an emf in the coil because there is no change in flux linkage, but I'm not too sure.

That's correct. Since the magnetic field through the coil's windings isn't changing, there is no induced emf in the coil.

Drakkith said:
That's correct. Since the magnetic field through the coil's windings isn't changing, there is no induced emf in the coil.

Ok cool, thank you

Hannah7h said:
Oh sorry! I meant you move the magnet INTO the coil and then it remains stationary inside of the coil
Ah, ok. So there will be a voltage while it is moving into the coil, but once it stops the flux is no longer changing in time and so the voltage will be 0.

Drakkith said:
Dale said:
Ah, ok. So there will be a voltage while it is moving into the coil, but once it stops the flux is no longer changing in time and so the voltage will be 0.

Yep this is what i thought, thank you very much

If the coil is in a closed circuit, then when the magnet stops moving, the current will die off, and the coil will produce voltage via self induction.

No, once the magnet stops and the current has died away, there is no longer any EMF.

True, but it takes some amount of time (after the magnet stops moving) for current to go to zero. The inductance of the coil prevents current from dropping to zero instantaneously.

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by moving it through a magnetic field or by changing the magnetic field around it.

How does electromagnetic induction work?

When a conductor, such as a coil of wire, is moved through a magnetic field, the magnetic field exerts a force on the free electrons in the conductor. This force causes the electrons to move, creating an electric current.

What is the role of coils in electromagnetic induction?

Coils are used to increase the strength of the magnetic field and to concentrate the magnetic flux in a specific direction. This allows for greater efficiency in the process of electromagnetic induction.

What is the role of magnets in electromagnetic induction?

Magnets are essential in the process of electromagnetic induction as they provide the magnetic field necessary to induce an electric current in a conductor. The strength of the magnet and the distance between the magnet and the conductor can affect the efficiency of the process.

What are some practical applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has numerous practical applications, including generators, transformers, electric motors, and wireless charging. It is also used in everyday technologies such as cell phones, computers, and power lines.