Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic induction question

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    Hello

I am new to this forum and wanted to ask a question on em induction.

I know if a current passes through a wire a magnetic field around the wire is produced and can be amplified by having a coil of wire. If that is then placed in a magnetic field (like between a north and south pole magnetic) motion will be produced.

With induction if a wire/coil experiences a change in magnetic field by movement of either magnet or wire, then a voltage/P.D will be produced and maybe current if it is connected to a load.

What I want to know is if current does flow through the coil during em induction when a voltage is being produced by the coil/wire will there be a magnetic field produced around the coil/wire itself as current is flowing through it?

Thank you for reading and any replies.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you add some punctuation marks? It is hard to read your post.

If a current flows through a coil, it produces a magnetic field, even if there are other external magnetic fields or anything else.

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3
    Sorry my question is confusing.

If current flows through a coil, (like from a battery) then is produces a magnetic field.
    So if I move a coil in a magnetic field, to create a current flow through the coil will it also turn into a magnetic?

5. Jun 10, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The induced current will produce a magnetic field, right.

6. Jun 10, 2012 #5
    Thank you for the answer mfb.

e44-72.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook