1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic induction question

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    Hello

I am new to this forum and wanted to ask a question on em induction.

I know if a current passes through a wire a magnetic field around the wire is produced and can be amplified by having a coil of wire. If that is then placed in a magnetic field (like between a north and south pole magnetic) motion will be produced.

With induction if a wire/coil experiences a change in magnetic field by movement of either magnet or wire, then a voltage/P.D will be produced and maybe current if it is connected to a load.

What I want to know is if current does flow through the coil during em induction when a voltage is being produced by the coil/wire will there be a magnetic field produced around the coil/wire itself as current is flowing through it?

Thank you for reading and any replies.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you add some punctuation marks? It is hard to read your post.

If a current flows through a coil, it produces a magnetic field, even if there are other external magnetic fields or anything else.

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3
    Sorry my question is confusing.

If current flows through a coil, (like from a battery) then is produces a magnetic field.
    So if I move a coil in a magnetic field, to create a current flow through the coil will it also turn into a magnetic?

5. Jun 10, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The induced current will produce a magnetic field, right.

6. Jun 10, 2012 #5
    Thank you for the answer mfb.

e44-72.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook