1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Electromagnetic induction

1. May 11, 2016 #1
    Guys, I have read Lenz's law and Faraday's law. My question is when the current is overall trying to keep the magnetic flux constant as that in initial time then if I permanently change the flux then why the current is not flowing through the conductor continuously to keep initial flux constant. Thankyou

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The current is not trying to keep the flux constant - the charges respond to changes in flux.

4. May 12, 2016 #3
    Can you elaborate please. Because I want real concept. I want to understand it.

5. May 12, 2016 #4
    In other words current produced by changing the flux in a coil is proportional to the time rate of change of the flux in that coil. Once the change stops the current stops, end of story. In order to sustain the current you must continuously change the flux.

6. May 12, 2016 #5
    Faradays and Lenz's laws concern induced emfs.....not currents.
    There is a very subtle but important distinction.
    You will always get an induced emf in a conductor when there is a changing magnetic flux linkage. This does not mean that you will always get a current.

7. May 12, 2016 #6
    Ohk....I read an article and there I concluded that there must be a relative motion between conductor and magnetic field to generate EMF. Why it is like that?

8. May 13, 2016 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Its a consequence of electrical and magnetic fields being manifestations of the same fundamental force and the invariance of the speed of light. Bottom line: it happens because that is how the Universe works.

What was the article? Where?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted