Electromagnetic induction

Main Question or Discussion Point

Guys, I have read Lenz's law and Faraday's law. My question is when the current is overall trying to keep the magnetic flux constant as that in initial time then if I permanently change the flux then why the current is not flowing through the conductor continuously to keep initial flux constant. Thankyou

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The current is not trying to keep the flux constant - the charges respond to changes in flux.

The current is not trying to keep the flux constant - the charges respond to changes in flux.
Can you elaborate please. Because I want real concept. I want to understand it.

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
the charges respond to changes in flux.
In other words current produced by changing the flux in a coil is proportional to the time rate of change of the flux in that coil. Once the change stops the current stops, end of story. In order to sustain the current you must continuously change the flux.

Faradays and Lenz's laws concern induced emfs.....not currents.
There is a very subtle but important distinction.
You will always get an induced emf in a conductor when there is a changing magnetic flux linkage. This does not mean that you will always get a current.

Ohk....I read an article and there I concluded that there must be a relative motion between conductor and magnetic field to generate EMF. Why it is like that?

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Its a consequence of electrical and magnetic fields being manifestations of the same fundamental force and the invariance of the speed of light. Bottom line: it happens because that is how the Universe works.

What was the article? Where?