Electromagnetic inertial reaction force?

In summary, the conversation discussed the effects of accelerating a charged particle (particle ##A##) on a distant charged particle (particle ##B##) through the exchange of virtual photons. It was mentioned that virtual photons conserve momentum and energy between the two particles. It was questioned whether there is an inertia-like reaction force back at particle ##A##, and it was stated that classical forces do not exist in quantum electrodynamics (QED). The concept of virtual particles was discussed and it was noted that they are often misunderstood. It was suggested to stick to one theory and to start separate threads for discussions on different theories.
jcap
I accelerate charged particle ##A## causing virtual photons to travel to distant charged particle ##B## which feels an electromagnetic force proportional to ##A##'s acceleration (for a classical field description of this effect see https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_28.html Eqn 28.6).

Virtual photons conserve momentum and energy between the two charged particles.

Is there an inertia-like reaction force back at particle ##A##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding is that when we accelerate a charge it feels a force trying to stop it moving.This is caused because its static field lines are bent back and so apply a retarding force. The work done in accelerating the charge is partly lost as radiated energy and partly stored as inertia. Particle B feels a force due to the electric field of the radiated wave.

jcap said:
I accelerate charged particle ##A## causing virtual photons to travel to distant charged particle ##B## which feels an electromagnetic force proportional to ##A##'s acceleration (for a classical field description of this effect see https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_28.html Eqn 28.6).

Virtual photons conserve momentum and energy between the two charged particles.

Is there an inertia-like reaction force back at particle ##A##?
There is no photon in classical physics, let alone virtual photons. Your post is, therefore, confusing different theories of light.

Likes Vanadium 50, weirdoguy and vanhees71
PeroK said:
There is no photon in classical physics, let alone virtual photons. Your post is, therefore, confusing different theories of light.

But I am describing a physical situation that should be describable by both classical and quantum theories of electromagnetism.

jcap said:
But I am describing a physical situation that should be describable by both classical and quantum theories of electromagnetism.
Not by mixing and matching concepts from both theories. There are no forces in QED (in the sense of Newton's laws and Coulomb's law).

Likes Dale and vanhees71
tech99 said:
My understanding is that when we accelerate a charge it feels a force trying to stop it moving.This is caused because its static field lines are bent back and so apply a retarding force. The work done in accelerating the charge is partly lost as radiated energy and partly stored as inertia. Particle B feels a force due to the electric field of the radiated wave.

In the situation I described above quantum electrodynamics would imply an exchange of energy and momentum between particle ##A## and particle ##B##. I would have thought this would translate into a reaction force back at particle ##A##.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
Not by mixing and matching concepts from both theories. There are no forces in QED.

Yes but classical forces imply changes in momentum which is a concept described in QED.

The virtual photons in QED conserve momentum so there should be a classical reaction force back at particle ##A##.

jcap said:
Yes but classical forces imply changes in momentum which is a concept described in QED.

The virtual photons in QED conserve momentum so there should be a classical reaction force back at particle ##A##.
Do you mean:

For every virtual photon, there is an equal and opposite virtual photon?

PeroK said:
Do you mean:

For every virtual photon, there is an equal and opposite virtual photon?

When a virtual photon adds a certain amount of energy and momentum to particle ##B## then that same amount of energy and momentum must have been lost from particle ##A##.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
jcap said:
When a virtual photon adds a certain amount of energy and momentum to particle ##B## then that same amount of energy and momentum must have been lost from particle ##A##.
In other words, QED is just Newton's laws with virtual photons as mediators!

No! QED is the quantum version of the relativistic theory of interacting electrically charged particles and the electromagnetic field. Instead of saying "virtual photons" just say "electromagnetic interaction" and you avoid all these misunderstandings propagated (faster than light ;-)) by popular-science books.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
PeroK said:
Not by mixing and matching concepts from both theories. There are no forces in QED (in the sense of Newton's laws and Coulomb's law).
I 100% agree here. @jcap please pick one theory and stick to it. If you want to learn about the other theory then do that in a separate thread.

This is the classical physics forum so discussions about quantum mechanics is off topic anyway. This thread is closed, but you are welcome to start more focused threads on the same topic.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is electromagnetic inertial reaction force?

Electromagnetic inertial reaction force, also known as Lorentz force, is a fundamental force that occurs when a charged particle is in motion in a magnetic field. It is a combination of electric and magnetic forces that act on the particle, causing it to experience a force perpendicular to its direction of motion.

2. How is electromagnetic inertial reaction force related to Newton's laws of motion?

Electromagnetic inertial reaction force is related to Newton's laws of motion through the third law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, the action is the force exerted by the charged particle on the magnetic field, and the reaction is the force exerted by the magnetic field on the charged particle.

3. What are some real-life applications of electromagnetic inertial reaction force?

Electromagnetic inertial reaction force has many practical applications, including electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also essential for the functioning of devices such as speakers, headphones, and hard drives.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the electromagnetic inertial reaction force?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the magnitude of the electromagnetic inertial reaction force. As the magnetic field becomes stronger, the force exerted on the charged particle also increases.

5. Can electromagnetic inertial reaction force be seen in everyday life?

While we may not be able to see the force itself, we can observe its effects in everyday life. For example, the force of a magnet on a metal object is an example of electromagnetic inertial reaction force. It is also responsible for the behavior of charged particles in electric circuits.