Electromagnetic Radiation and Heat Transfer

In summary, the middle school kids in the conversation were trying to understand why lower frequency radiation heats us up and the higher frequency we can see does not burn our eyeballs up. The teacher explained that lower frequency radiation resonates with water molecules and that this causes our skin to heat up. They also talked about how visible light has too high of a frequency and how this resonates with our detectors in our eyes however, they are like very short pendulums. Mercury heats up quicker with lower frequency light because it is hotter in the red spectrum. Lastly, the teacher mentioned that it must be Friday because there was a pun in the summary.
Gersty
I'm trying to explain heat and electromagnetic radiation to a group of middle school age kids. Would it be appropriate to describe heat as light that our eyes may not be able to "see" due to its wavelength, but that the nerves in our skin can percieve it as an incrased teperature? I'm looking for a good way to start a discussion of EMR.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you could briefly introduce them to the electromagnetic spectrum. Then say how the heat from the sun is transmitted through IR waves which falls out of the visible spectrum. So we can't see it, but it affects our bodies, like the wind.

That is a great subject for kids. I think that you should make it clear that radiation is radiation is radiation. Light is what we see with our eyes which is always what x-rays are and microwaves, and the heat that comes from the sun. So many non-physicists do not understand this because they are never informed at a young age.

A common question is going to be why lower frequency radiation heats us up and the higher frequency we can see does not burn our eyeballs up.

Lower frequency radiation resonates with water molecules causing our skin to heat up.

Visible light has too high of a frequency, like trying to shake a pendulum very quickly and it does not move, but you move nice and easy and it gets a huge amplitude.

Visible light resonates with the detectors in our eyeballs however, they are like very short pendulums.

Thanks for the help. Part of the problem, I think, is that there is a preconcieved notion that for something to have an affect on us that we can feel, it must have some solid physical presence. Kids can easily grasp that things like water or wind are made up of tiny particles that they can feel if enough of them come into contact with our skin. Radiation always seems so non physical in this context. Does this make sense? Heat and light, gamma rays, and x-rays, infrared and ultraviolet, frequency and wavelength are really hard to grasp for learners (not just kids). The question ultimately becomes something like: "What is it really that is hitting my skin and giving me a sunburn?" or "What do you mean wavelength? Are those photons leaving the sun and bobbing up and down through space till they hit my arm?" These are actual questions that I'm struggling to answer.

We are all struggling to answer those questions, welcome to the club.

I think what is important is getting the kids to start asking these questions, you have already done your job!

Last edited:
Gersty said:
I'm trying to explain heat and electromagnetic radiation to a group of middle school age kids. Would it be appropriate to describe heat as light that our eyes may not be able to "see" due to its wavelength, but that the nerves in our skin can percieve it as an incrased teperature? I'm looking for a good way to start a discussion of EMR.

What about re-creating the discovery of infrared radiation? Pass sunlight through a prism, and move a thermometer from the blue to the red and then past the red- the thermometer will register a change in temperature, even though you can't see any light.

Andy Resnick said:
What about re-creating the discovery of infrared radiation? Pass sunlight through a prism, and move a thermometer from the blue to the red and then past the red- the thermometer will register a change in temperature, even though you can't see any light.

Which makes me wonder. Why does mercury heat up quicker with lower frequency light?

LostConjugate said:
Which makes me wonder. Why does mercury heat up quicker with lower frequency light?

Because red is hot and blue is cold! Everyone knows that...

J/K, I just couldn't resist.

thecow99 said:
Because red is hot and blue is cold! Everyone knows that...

J/K, I just couldn't resist.

It must be friday.

1. What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation refers to the transfer of energy through electric and magnetic fields. It includes a wide range of wavelengths, from radio waves to gamma rays, and travels at the speed of light.

2. How does electromagnetic radiation transfer heat?

Electromagnetic radiation can transfer heat through two processes: conduction and radiation. In conduction, heat is transferred through direct contact between objects. In radiation, heat is transferred through electromagnetic waves without the need for direct contact.

3. What factors affect the amount of heat transferred by electromagnetic radiation?

The amount of heat transferred by electromagnetic radiation depends on the temperature difference between objects, the distance between them, and their surface properties. Objects with a larger temperature difference, shorter distance, and higher surface emissivity will transfer more heat through radiation.

4. How does the atmosphere influence the transfer of electromagnetic radiation?

The Earth's atmosphere plays a crucial role in the transfer of electromagnetic radiation. It absorbs and scatters some of the radiation from the sun, resulting in a decrease in the amount that reaches the Earth's surface. The atmosphere also traps heat, contributing to Earth's overall temperature.

5. What are the applications of electromagnetic radiation and heat transfer in daily life?

Electromagnetic radiation and heat transfer have numerous applications in daily life, including cooking, heating, and cooling systems. They are also essential in technologies such as solar panels, communication systems, and medical imaging. Understanding the principles of electromagnetic radiation and heat transfer allows us to harness their power for various purposes.